Already Reviewed:
She Shall Have Murder by Delano Ames (thanks to Tracy at Bitter Tea and Mystery for introducing me to this series)Iris in Winter by Elizabeth Cadell (recently reprinted by Cadell’s family)
Crooked House by Agatha Christie (it’s not always possible to keep Christie’s books straight (no pun intended) but although it isn’t her best, the house makes it memorable)
The Parasites by Daphne du Maurier (a semi-autobiographical novel – Helen liked this more than I did)And Both Were Young by Madeleine L’Engle (this is one of my top ten and one of the first boarding school stories I read and fell in love with)
Boarding School by Regina Woody (a school story based on nearby Dana Hall in Wellesley by an author better known for her dance novels)
Already Read:
Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Margaret Campbell Barnes
The Mountain of Adventure (#5) by Enid Blyton
The Secret Seven (#1) by Enid Blyton
Lady of Letters by Josephine Elder (I would have reread this for the Club if I’d been able to find a copy)
The Black Stallion and Satan (#5) by Walter Farley (I read every book in this series after my 4th grade teacher read us the first book, which is definitely the best)
In a Dark Wood Wandering by Hella S. Haasse (this historical novel about the Hundred Years’ War was extremely hyped when translated in 1989 but was not as enthralling as one had hoped - I kept my copy for years because of the cover)Love in a Cold Climate (#2) Nancy Mitford
Celia's Lighthouse by Anne Molloy (I gave my copy to a friend who had just named her daughter Celia: I hope she became a reader)
Hoax of a Lifetime by J. Radford-Evans (based on the title, this should have been better, and my copy arrived very sticky which also limited its appeal)
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp (this was in my school library and I remember my grandmother telling me my uncle Chris was in an undercover role in East Germany with one of the youngest von Trapps, who of course spoke fluent German) Vittoria Cottage and Shoulder the Sky by D.E. Stevenson (two of her best in a three-book series)
Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (this is a favorite and I chose it for my lawyer-book-group in December).
Trusting Journey by Marjorie Weaver (Gail travels to Australia to marry an airman she met during WWII but he has lost interest so she has to make a new life for herself - interesting because Weaver herself followed someone from England to Australia - it worked out much better for her).
See you next week!






Interesting list! I read all of the Walter Farley books that had been published by 1963!
ReplyDeleteHugs!
I read the first book to my nephews and nieces and they were agog!
DeleteThe Black Stallion and Satan! What a title! You'd think it was a parody.
ReplyDeleteThe best title was The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt - not knowing anything about horses or racing, I read the entire book thinking the colt was in a bad mood. It was years before I learned what a sulky was.
DeleteWhat a fascinating selection - there are so many books from 1949 which I've never heard of!!
ReplyDelete