And, for the most part, the author managed to avoid the mawkishness that can destroy a book or annoy me by portraying a bookstore unrealistically experiencing financial stability. We all know how rare that is!
Here is the premise: it is the beginning of January, and Alfie, the cozily unkempt proprietor of the Book Lane shop, has a difficult phone call to make. He calls Tilly Nightingale to say he has a book for her that her husband, Joe, purchased, and she needs to come pick it up. Tilly does not understand as her husband died six months earlier but when she goes to the store and meets its owner, Alfie explains that Joe had come into the store and purchased a book for every month for Tilly – his gift was a year of books:
“He came in and explained his situation and placed this order. He said that if he hadn’t come in before the following Christmas, I was to know what that meant and should call you on the fifth of January. I kept hoping he would come in. I’m so sorry for your loss.”The first book is Roald Dahl’s Matilda (which is Tilly’s real name), but instead of being charmed, she is just sad because since Joe’s death she has lost her love of books. Matilda goes “firmly back on the coffee table, where it will remain for weeks, unread.”
And I think that is why I liked this book, not simply because it was about reading and bookstores and Tilly learning to find joy in books again, but because it wasn’t easy. While you can probably guess that she will eventually learn to cope with her grief, the author shows the most challenging parts of such loss – how it hits you at unexpected moments like a knife and how even close friends may not provide the support one needs. Tilly’s journey includes unexpected and entertaining episodes as well, as admittedly, a few clichés, and is well worth reading. You may need some Kleenex.Look how cleverly the author endorsements were done on the back cover: each of these five authors included her own favorite book to share (I've read four of the five). I have different books that I recommend depend on the reader but something by Maud Hart Lovelace or Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart are probably the most frequent. What is your favorite book to share?
Title: This Book Made Me Think of You
Author: Libby Page
Publication: Berkley, hardcover, 2026
Genre: Fiction
Source: Library

7 comments:
I really liked this one when I read it earlier this year. It has definitely been popular!
A friend at work just recommended this to me last week! I had totally missed it coming out, despite having enjoyed most of Page's earlier books (especially The Lido). Time to track it down!
I had never heard of her but it was a cute story and less predictable than most.
I read this one, too, and I was going to turn it back in, but someone suggested I stay with it, and I’m glad I did. It was predictable, but pleasantly so. Plus, I found the publishing connection and the monthly book suggestions interesting. As for my recommendations? That is SO hard. After my summer of reading and reflecting on what I’ve read, I find that my constant rec is JOHN OF JOHN.
A lot of people are reading John of John. I am on the fence but maybe I will succumb.
Love the design too! The MCs were all just a bit too perfect for me but an enjoyable read. Highly recommend The Lido.
Check, check, check! Yes, this is definitely going on the tbr list.
Post a Comment