Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Top Ten Tuesday: Books of Autumn

Welcome to this week's edition of Top Ten Tuesday which is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's theme is Fall so here are ten corresponding books:
The Autumn People by Ruth M. Arthur (1973). This is a time-slip set mostly in Scotland, which Romilly visits with her grandmother. She gets caught up in a family tragedy from many years ago and falls in love with a ghost.  This always reminded me of Time at the Top by Mabel Esther Allan, another favorite. A thoughtful librarian who knew how much I liked this author saving it for me when it was brand new. If you ever find books by Arthur at library book sales, grab them!
See You in September by Ellen Conford et al.  Purchased because of Conford, of course, this slim paperback contains four short stories (the other authors are Katherine Applegate, Alane Ferguson, and Lee Wardlaw) about summer romances and what happens when September comes - do they last?
Autumn Term
by Antonia Forest (1948). When Lawrie and Nicola Marlow arrive at Kingscote School, they are determined to live up to their accomplished older sisters. Unfortunately, their first term at boarding school is a disaster, full of disgrace and misunderstandings! I did not read this series until I was an adult but it is one of my favorite school stories.
The Pumpkin Spice Café by Laurie Gilmore (2023). The last time I was at Barnes & Noble, there were piles of books by this author. I was curious enough to read one but I found it sappy and obvious. Where would this book be without its cute cover?
Back to School with Betsy by Carolyn Haywood (1943). Before I knew Betsy Ray, I read all of Haywood’s books about another Betsy. In this book, Betsy is starting third grade and is very upset at losing her favorite teacher. 
Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg (1967). Elizabeth has just moved to a new town and makes her first friend on Halloween – Jennifer, who says she’s a witch. I remember looking at the illustrations and realizing Jennifer was the first black character I’d encountered in a chapter book. This was a Newbery Honor Book in 1968 when Konigsburg’s second book, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, was the winner.  I found both of these in my grade school library.
September by Rosamunde Pilcher (1990). This is a family saga set in Scotland that focuses on two families: the Airds (led by Violet) and the Balmerinos (led by her friend Archie, a local laird), as everyone looks forward to a fancy 21st birthday party. It’s easy to forget how enjoyable Pilcher’s books are when one isn’t reading them but this is one of her best.
Reversing the Curse by Dan Shaughnessy (2005). October 2004 was the best autumn ever because the Red Sox beat the Yankees and won the World Series! In this book, Shaughnessy describes the team's journey to break the 86-year "Curse of the Bambino" and win their first World Series title since 1918.
The Fortnight in September by R.C. Sherriff (1931). The Stevens family plans for and always enjoys their two-week holiday at a modest boarding house on the British coast. They are an ordinary lower middle-class family – parents, and three children (Mary is 20 and quite grown up) whose annual rituals are comforting to all, even when imperfect. This is a charming story, precisely because nothing significant actually happens.
White House Autumn by Ellen Emerson White (1985). In this sequel to The President’s Daughter, Meg must cope with her mother being elected as the first woman president. Inevitably, Meg (who is appealing except when her humor irritates everyone around her) realizes that living in the White House is ruining all her school relationships and takes out her annoyance on her family.
I love making these lists. Have you read any of these?

No comments: