Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The New Homestead

One thinks of the word "homestead" primarily in the context of Laura Ingalls Wilder, so I was surprised at my closing yesterday to be given a document entitled "Declaration of Homestead." Along with a mere $35 to the Commonwealth, I have established that I own it and am possessed by it. I am sure most new homeowners will agree about the "possessed by" part!When I drove over for the first time as a homeowner, I will admit it was a bit intimidating. The house was dark; I don't know where the light switches are; and I wondered if a killer lurked within. I hoped the neighbors wouldn't call the police on me but figured burglars probably remove items, rather than bring them at 10 pm, and it is a very safe neighborhood. I left the headlights on so I would have light as I fumbled with the key. There were no killers inside (have I been reading too many thrillers?), only one intimidating centipede in the kitchen sink which I drowned. Don't tell my favorite professor, Gary Francione!

15 comments:

Deva Fagan said...

Congratulations on the new homestead! I hope you are settling in comfortable and finding just the right spot for the Goethe Cup. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Big house for such a petite woman! But then you do have a lot of books. Blessings on your sojourn in the "homestead"!
j in the Abominable Manor

SiS said...

Congrats!!! As soon as the travel budget allows (which should give you ample time to nest), I'm inviting myself for a visit.

It is beautiful and you deserve it.

Laura said...

Congrats, Constance! So exciting! It's lovely.

Very happy for you,

Laura

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Constance, it looks great! I think you will have a lot of fun here! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I'm sure you'll fix the curtains in a stunning new way. And, who knows, maybe a Brass Bowl is in your future.
-Susann

LaurieA-B said...

Constance, it's beautiful! The red door, dark shutters, and grey roof are a lovely combination. I am a big fan of garages in the back of the house--such a nice look, especially compared to the alternative that is so common on the West Coast.

How old is the house, and where is it? Wishing you much happiness in your new home. I always think of you in your one-bedroom apartment, even though you haven't lived there for some time, so this is really different.

Bully said...

Congratulations! I will be coming over for trick-or-treating. Better get plenty of fun-size bars!

Barb said...

It is just beautiful, Constance! I love the cheery red door. You should invite a bunch of strange women from all over New England related only by a strange fascination with some mildly obscure childrens books to come over and see it.

Teresa said...

How exciting for you and such a beautiful house, too!!

Deb and George said...

Congratulations, and see Barb, above.

Joan said...

Constance,

It looks lovely! And so charming! I wonder what treasures or artifacts you might find in the attic--or basement--or garage?

I think you should have a whist card party ASAP and serve Welsh rabbit in a chafing dish with unfrosted cake for dessert! In fact, I'll bring the cake.

Wishing you all the best!

Joan

Sue said...

The house is lovely. Congratulations!

Sue

keeper said...

What a charming house, Constance. I love the red door . I hope you will be very happy in your new home. Have you put up the Harvard etchings yet ?

Chandra said...

What a wonderful home!!! Congrats!