Monday, March 17, 2014

The Accident (Book Review)

Title: The Accident
Author: Chris Pavone
Publication Information: Crown Publishers, Hardcover, 2014
Genre: Suspense 
Plot: When New York literary agent Isabel Reed receives the manuscript of a potentially bestselling book, it causes incredible danger for anyone who reads it because it reveals a damaging secret of a powerful media mogul.  For Isabel, in addition to fearing for her life and those she has involved, an added element is that she guesses the identity of the anonymous author.  A CIA operative is leading a covert operation extending from Copenhagen to the US to prevent the manuscript from ever being published, and he will let nothing stop him from burying the true story of the long-ago accident.

Audience: Fans of DavidBaldacci, Owen Laukkanen, and Joseph Finder.

What I liked: I had read reviews of Pavone’s first book, The Expats, and kept meaning to pick it up.   I was pleased to get the opportunity to read his second book, which is set in the back-biting media world of the 21st century and is getting just as much praise.   Having worked for NYC publishers for 17 years, I particularly enjoyed the publishing setting, which was perfectly drawn and set the book apart from ordinary thrillers  – my two favorite parts were 1) when the Subsidiary Rights Director helped herself to the anonymous manuscript and 2) the description of an editor’s joy when his lunch date cancels.  As the action picked up, interrupted by flashbacks to the fatal night of the accident, even the slightest characters played an important part in a startling resolution.  I look forward to sharing this with my Book Group, as it is a very different genre from our usual fiction.  And I plan to go back to The Expats to read about my favorite character, Kate.


Later:  I listened to The Expats on CD while painting my guest room in early 2015 and thought it was a million times better than The Accident.

What I disliked:  I found the pace slow, especially at the beginning, when seemingly unconnected elements were being set up for the reader.  I also found the author’s use of the present tense somewhat distracting, although it was probably meant to add to the sense of urgency.

Source: I received this book from TLC Book Tours and urge you to stop by the tour to see what other bloggers have been saying about The Accident:

Chris Pavone’s TLC Book Tours TOUR STOPS:

Monday, March 3rd:  No More Grumpy Bookseller
Monday, March 3rd:  Drey’s Library
Monday, March 3rd:  Why Girls are Weird
Wednesday, March 5th:  A Bookish Way of Life
Thursday, March 6th:  Bookish Ardour
Friday, March 7th:  She Treads Softly
Monday, March 10th:  Joyfully Retired
Tuesday, March 11th:  Bound by Words
Tuesday, March 11th:  Mockingbird Hill Cottage
Tuesday, March 11th:  Kritter’s Ramblings
Wednesday, March 12th:  Book Dilettante
Friday, March 14th:  River City Reading
Tuesday, March 18th:  Bookchickdi
Wednesday, March 19th:  Book-alicious Mama
Thursday, March 20th:  Chaotic Compendiums
Friday, March 21st:  Not in Jersey
Monday, March 24th:  A Bookworm’s World
Tuesday, March 25th:  Reading Reality
Wednesday, March 26th:  Bibliotica
Thursday, March 27th:  Ageless Pages Reviews
Friday, March 28th:  Patricia’s Wisdom


Giveaway:  I have a book to give away (US only) – if interested, post a comment telling me your favorite suspense writer, and I will pick a winner in April.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

techeditor said...

My favorite suspense writer is Dennis Lehane before he last two books.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm sure you found lots of things in this book that brought back memories of your time in the business ... hopefully they weren't all bad! :)

Thanks for being on the tour.

Anonymous said...

My favorite suspense writer is Joy Fielding. Pick me, pick me!!!

Jen DK

Anonymous said...

You'd probably also enjoy The Landgramm Affair by Wendy Marech, another thriller set in the publishing industry. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a copy and/or more info.

chuck@marloepress.com