Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Marsha On-Stage by Amelia Elizabeth Walden

Title: Marsha On-Stage
Author: Amelia Elizabeth Walden
Publication: William Morrow & Company, hardcover, 1952
Genre: YA fiction
Description: Lovely Marsha Blake, a senior at New Sharon High School in Connecticut, has always been acknowledged as the star of a talented drama department, led by Mrs. Graham, who studied at the American Academy (like Walden herself).  For years, Marsha and her older brother Ricky, now at college, had hoped to launch their own production at the local community theater, which closed ten years ago.  Now, Stephen Terry, son of a famous actress and equally famous director, has moved in with an aunt in New Sharon to finish high school, reopened the theater, and invited Marsha to take the lead in his new play.  Instead of recognizing his talent or sincere desire to include anyone interested in the project, Marsha is resentful and jealous, and sabotages the production.   When it is too late, she realizes what she has done and that she cares about Stephen.  Can she replace her arrogance with humility, repair the damage to Stephen’s reputation and her own, overcome her own acting limitations, and salvage their relationship?
My Impressions: Amelia Elizabeth Walden was a talented writer of Young Adult fiction whose work included mysteries, sports, careers, and espionage.  She was educated at Columbia University and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York, and taught high school and lived in Westport, Connecticut for many years, where she was involved in local theater and married John William Harmon in 1946, the year she published her first book.  Fashion, jewelry design, and travel were interests she included in her books.  There is now an award in her name for a book that exemplifies literary excellence, widespread appeal, and a positive approach to life in young adult literature.

I seem to recall that Marsha On-Stage was one of the first Waldens I read.  Back in the day, my city had a number of branch libraries, including one in Newtonville, a few blocks from my high school, and this title was only in that collection.  The copy I purchased is a shabby library discard that resembles the one I read long ago.  Marsha is not one of Walden’s nicest heroines but it's sort of refreshing to have a bitchy main character.   She is arrogant and inconsiderate to those around her.  The only person she listens to is her brother (her parents are invisible in this story) and she judges Stephen on his shabby, mismatched clothing and resents his ability to connect with his classmates.  But after she sabotages his play, her conscience begins to bother her and when she has difficulty with the comedic aspects of her next part, she realizes Stephen is the only person who can help her and humbles herself to ask for assistance:

Oddly, her mind went back to the first day Tina had talked about him.  Tina had said there was a greatness about him . . . Today Marsha felt it so strongly that it seemed to fill the state and the whole empty playhouse – the strong, unbeatable spirit of this boy.  

Once I hurt him and crushed him, she thought.  Yet he’s willing to try to help me.  I can’t understand him.  Why is he doing it?

She wanted so much to have the answer to that question that she asked him.  “After all that’s happened between us, why are you willing to help me?  You don’t have to.  If you said no, I’d understand.”

He let go of her arm and looked out into the dark auditorium.  It’s just the theater, I guess.  You’re an actress.  Someday you may be a very good one.  I don’t particularly like you, but you have a very special talent.  It’s because of that I’m willing to try to help you.  I’m not sure we can make a go of it.  But, like me, you belong to the theater.  So I’d like to have a try.”

Walden’s career extended from Gateway in 1946 to Heartbreak Tennis, her final book in 1977.  She tried to keep her books relevant in her later years by turning her attention to the inner city and recognizing that music and sports can be a way out.  I will admit I preferred the relatively carefree 50s settings and she had a hard time retaining my interest as her books became quite gritty.  

For example, in Same Scene, Different Place (1969), her heroine Chena is in trouble in Spanish Harlem and is paroled to foster care in the suburbs.  She is lonely until she makes friends with two high school classmates, socially prominent Keir and musically talented Jay Silver (Walden's heroines are often torn between two men).  It is Jay who recognizes her talent and gives her a chance to sing in his band, although that leads to people who want to exploit her talent.  Surprisingly, critics felt that Walden was able to make the transition to 60s and 70s YA problem novels, which some authors were unable to do.   

Source: Personal copy

5 comments:

Test said...

I thought I had read books by this author, but none of the titles sound familiar. Now I really want to read A Girl Called Hank. Set in 1951, the girl plays basketball. I am intrigued by the cover, which shows her in short shorts; my mother played at this time and wore skirts! Marsha On-Stage reminds me a bit of Levin's The Singer and the Summer Song.

CLM said...

Well, stop by and you can read my copy! I only obtained it recently so have not read it yet but the heroine has four older brothers so probably would not have appreciated wearing a skirt to play. Walden's books are mostly set in Connecticut; maybe your mother played in a more conservative location? Do you have pictures?

I don't know The Singer and the Summer Song. Should I hunt down a copy? It looks like there was a Berkley paperback, probably with the plaid edging on the cover! The first book I remember buying in a bookstore was one of those, The Real Thing by Rosamund du Jardin!

Lory said...

Great minds - I just announced a month of Reading the Theatre in March, for which this would be perfect! Unfortunately it would be too hard for me to get a hold of a copy here... I also wish I could re-read Up Goes the Curtain by Janet Lambert.

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

"Walden was able to make the transition to 60s and 70s YA problem novels, which some authors were unable to do." Interesting assessment, something that never struck me before to look for, and something that I'll now keep in mind. Also didn't know there was an ALAN contribution award for this genre. Thanks, learnt something new today!

Lark said...

I love these kinds of old-fashioned stories!