Saturday, April 29, 2023

Grey Mask by Patricia Wentworth - introducing Miss Silver!

Title: Grey Mask
Author: Patricia Wentworth
Publication: Warner, paperback, originally published in 1929
Genre: Mystery
Setting: English countryside
Description: Charles Moray has been out of the country for four years, having left with bitterness when his fiancĂ©, Margaret Langford, broke their engagement with no explanation right before the wedding. Quietly entering the family home, which should be empty, he finds it full of disguised conspirators including a leader in a rubber Grey Mask. He would have attacked them or called the police but he recognizes one of them is Margaret. Shocked yet too chivalrous to turn her in, Charles decides he must get to the bottom of this mystery himself. As he investigates, he realizes he still loves Margaret but she has got herself involved in something dangerous, and when she won’t confide in him, he turns to Miss Silver – in her first recorded case.

My Impression: Romance does not always run smooth in Patricia Wentworth world and her heroines fall into two categories: loyal and determined or frightened and passive. Charles may be hot tempered (leaving England rather than staying to insist on an explanation for the broken engagement) but Margaret unfortunately falls into the latter category as one of those pale but lovely people who suffer in silence, so it is hard to warm to her as a character. What Charles overheard convinced him she is involved with a gang plotting murder to secure an inheritance, and when she refuses to tell him what is going on, he visits Miss Silver. He is careful what he says to her, anxious to keep Margaret out of it, but Miss Silver sees right through him:
“I can’t take your case unless you’re going to trust me. I can’t work for a client who only tells me snippets and odds and ends. ‘Trust me all in all, or not at all,’ is my motto. Tennyson is out of fashion, but I admire him very much, and that is my motto.”

Charles looked at her with the suspicion of a twinkle. What a Victorian little person! He became aware of a half-knitted stocking on her lap, still needles bristling. It seemed to him very appropriate
My edition, not very attractive
Charles should heed Miss Silver but he is trying to protect not only Margaret but Greta, a dimwitted heiress against whom the Grey Mask is plotting, so he does not share everything he knows. However, she is available to save the day when he needs help, although she has her standards, as she tells Charles’ friend Archie. He replies, “Righto! I do the breakin’, and you do the enterin’. Come along!”

It would be more fun if Margaret weren’t always on the verge of fainting but it is still a great introduction to Miss Silver, who is recommended by Archie as a "sleuthess" although we learn later she is a retired governess.  She is very restrained in this book but becomes less colorless and much warmer as the series continues. Charles is impetuous and human enough to goad Margaret about breaking their engagement but essentially kind: when he realizes how unhappy she is, he is finally able to relinquish his anger, or at least to redirect it to those who caused her misery.
Source: Personal copy. This is my fourteenth book for Carol’s Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge.  I know I did not read this series in the proper order because I read She Came Back in high school, then none for many years.   Pre-internet, it would have been hard to even figure out that Grey Mask came first but it is not essential to read the books in order (I never say this!).  Click here for my previous Patricia Wentworth reviews.  

For other reviews of Grey Mask, read Tracy's take at Bitter Tea and Mystery, Cath's at Read-warbler, and Moira's at Clothes in Books.

I have always liked that Tennyson quote and it sometimes pops into my mind at relevant moments at work.  But I don't quote it aloud because what if they decided not to trust me at all?

9 comments:

Jerri said...

As I recall, it was some years after Grey Mask before Miss Silver appeared again, to really make it a series. I have long felt that this first in the series is probably the weakest Miss Sliver novel, and I always suggest that it NOT be sampled by someone new to Miss Silver (and especially someone new to Patricia Wentworth) as a first book to start with.

Cath said...

I liked this crime romp rather a lot but was disappointed that Miss Silver was not really centre stage. Interesting you say they don't really need reading in order. I shall pay heed and see if the library has any random editions when I go this week.

reese said...

I enjoyed this when I read it (one of the last Miss Silvers I read in fact), but it's definitely not the one to start with--despite it's being the start...

CLM said...

I remember coming across several references to Eternity Ring when it was out of print and I thought it must be very significant in the series but it wasn't really.

Jeannike said...

My favorite Patricia Wentworth-Miss Silver quote is, If you live in a small village and you are not interested in your neighbors' lives, you might as well be dead.

JaneGS said...

I need to read Patricia Wentworth! This sounds like a good bit of fun.

CLM said...

Jane, I need to find you one with a sassy heroine! Fool Errant might be a good one to start with. It doesn't have Miss Silver but it's the first in a four-book series.

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

For the longest time, I confused Patricia Wentworth with Patricia Wrede! It took me a while for enlightenment *rolls eyes*. I do want to try out the Miss Silver series, though something about the time period makes me wary. I assume this is similar to Georgette Heyer's Penhallow type mysteries, which while good, never left me emotionally invested in the characters. ~Lex

TracyK said...

Constance, This is a very good review. Thanks for linking to my post. I have only read 7 or 8 Miss Silver books since I started blogging, but I think all of them have had a romance in them, although it is usually in the background. I never thought I liked mysteries like that, but the Miss Silver books have become one of my favorite series.