Saturday, July 22, 2023

A Killing of Innocents by Deborah Crombie

Title: A Killing of Innocents
Author: Deborah Crombie
Publication: William Morrow, hardcover, 2023
Genre: Mystery
Setting: Present-day London
Description: When Sasha Johnson, a young doctor just leaving a pub in Bloomsbury as Duncan Kincaid and Doug Cullen are meeting for a drink, is murdered nearby, the men are called to the scene quickly. Gemma James, Duncan’s wife, and Melody Talbot, her sergeant, now both working in a special unit tracking and identifying knife crime in Greater London, are consulted, and soon Gemma realizes she misses traditional investigations. Melody is still depressed about her breakup with musician Andy Monahan, and can’t help squabbling with Doug, who never approved of Andy. The dead woman is connected to Wesley Howard, the cheerful young man who works as a chef at Otto’s, a cafĂ© in Notting Hill, and sometimes babysits for the Kincaid/James extended family. The search for Sasha’s killer takes the detectives to a hospital, a London nightclub, and the British Museum, while Duncan and Gemma squeeze in their younger son’s Nutcracker performance and try to maintain family life.

My Impression: I buy Deborah Crombie’s books (despite my overflowing shelves of unread books) because I know I will want to reread each one and this nineteenth in the series did not disappoint. I love how Duncan and Gemma’s relationship has evolved – in the first book, she was his sergeant and is now a Detective Inspector herself – and their family has also grown. This includes Kit from Kincaid’s first marriage, Toby from Gemma’s, and Charlotte, whose parents were murdered in Necessary as Blood and has now become part of the family, although not without challenges. Crombie creates appealing secondary characters as well, with their own complexities: Doug and Melody; Jasmine Sidana, the prickly Detective Inspector who resents Duncan; and Dr. Rashid Kaleem, the handsome pathologist on whom Duncan relies. Sidana shows signs of humanity in this book – not only does she display interest in Dr. Kaleem (they’d make a cute couple if she can get over herself) but in the most surprising part of the book she and Gemma go undercover at a nightclub and have fun together:
Sidana glanced at Gemma, then gave an awkward little twitch of her shoulder. “Speaking of single, you’re pretty good friends with Dr. Kaleem, right?”

“Rashid?” Gemma stared at her, perplexed. “We’ve worked together a good bit. He’s a great guy.”

“I would think he’d be quite a catch if he’s not already attached. Nice-looking, good job. Although the cutting-up-bodies bit might be a little off-putting.”

Gemma stared. “You’re asking if Rashid is single?”

“Is that a crime?”
Crombie even makes the reader care about Sidana, the Detective Inspector who wanted the job that went to Duncan and has been a difficult colleague for him. She has a backstory that is hinted at and may be revealed in the future (but I don't want to wait!).  However, Melody continues to be my favorite secondary character.  As a detective, she is a gifted researcher who made the mistake in a previous book of becoming romantically involved with a suspect. It worked out for a while but a bad breakup has made her miserable and unable to concentrate on work. Trying to juggle work and family is also causing Gemma stress, especially because Charlotte, now about four, is still traumatized from her parents’ death and needs attention. Someone suggests a nanny would alleviate some logistical challenges, which shocks Gemma, who did not grow up in that type of household, but seems practical when both parents work and have irregular hours. It might also allow Gemma to return to the investigative assignments that are her strength.
This is number eight of my 20 Books of Summer and my twentieth book for Carol’s Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge.  For earlier reviews, click here.

Source: Personal copy.  
By the way, I just took a Random House Reader’s Quiz and I must say it is quite accurate:

You have a:  Bookish Personality

You love to read and make it a priority every day. When it comes to genres, you’re much more likely to pick up a fiction read that will transport you and keep you on the edge of your seat. You read to be entertained, and as long as you can connect with characters and stories, you’re hooked! It doesn’t matter if the book is new or old.

8 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I've enjoyed this series too but do get a bit cross when she uses Americanisms that we don't use here!

CLM said...

Yes, I feel strongly that American authors writing books set in Britain (and vice versa) should not assume they can get the idioms right but instead have proofreaders from that country. However, I have been watching Line of Duty and sometimes think the characters have been watching too many American sitcoms based on some of the things they say, although I can't think of an example.

Cath said...

I've only read the first book in this series and never did get around to more. I enjoyed it a lot but there are now 'so' many books I would probably struggle to find them all.

CLM said...

The first was not very dynamic but she really hit her stride a few books in. Several are 5 stars, in my opinion. However, they could be hard to find in the UK, although I am told your library system will find books anywhere in the country for you, if asked.

Marty said...

As a Yank who reads a lot of mysteries by British authors, I have to say that those authors' attempts at American speech often don't ring true, either. I think the instances of Americans saying "I reckon" in vintage British mysteries would be a good basis for a drinking game! (Maybe the authors had seen too many "Western" movies.)

CLM said...

Agreed, Marty, depictions of practically illiterate, gum chewing or "I reckoning" Americans are quite common. You'd think the authors would not want to offend book buyers, regardless of the side of the ocean!

When I was a romance editor, I was appalled by the historical and language glitches I received in revised manuscripts - not just "I guess" and other Americanisms in British settings but mentions of zippers, Christmas trees, and teenagers long before those were in common use. In the old days, skilled editors found and edited many such glitches but now most editors only have time to read their own manuscripts so may not be very knowledgeable about the genres they edit.

TracyK said...

I have read through book 12 and have books 13 and 14 to read. I don't know if I will read more in the series after that. I loved the first 7 books in the series but the ones after that I have not liked as well. Does she still have the maps on the endpapers of the books? The books are almost worth it for that alone.

CLM said...

I thought #12 was one of the best ones! Yes, she still has lovely map endpapers and the one in this book was especially appealing as I had been in the Bloomsbury area quite recently.

She is juggling more characters now but I think the books continue to be excellent.