Wednesday, August 16, 2023

WWW Wednesday – August 16

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.
The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?


Currently Reading: Last night, I started The Arsenic Labyrinth, third in the Lake District mystery series by Martin Edwards (2007). Daniel Kind, a historian who recently returned with his girlfriend to the area where he grew up, keeps getting involved in local mysteries being investigated by DCI Hannah Scarlett, head of Cumbria’s Cold Case unit. Hannah’s boyfriend runs a bookstore so he can’t be all bad but I sense he won’t be with us when the series gets to book 8 . . .
I am quite enjoying the audio of Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld (2023), about a comedy writer for an SNL-like show who falls for a pop star guest hosting the show. The descriptions of how the show works are extremely entertaining and Sally’s insecurities are quite understandable, even if Noah is too perfect to be real (his only flaw is deteriorating hair).

Recently Finished: As the Crow Flies by Damien Boyd (2015) was an entertaining mystery recommended by Cath of Read-Warbler. The protagonist is a police detective investigating the death of his former climbing partner. Nick recently left London for Devon so does not know many people but that is no excuse for asking out his “young and keen” Detective Constable, although she doesn’t seem to mind. The climbing background was interesting although too complicated to really follow.
Quite a few years ago, perhaps after a reread of Flambards, my friend Bettina recommended a YA series by Caroline Akrill about a horse-crazy young woman, Elaine, who is determined to become an event rider and takes a poorly (or not at all) paid job in the stables of an impoverished family, hoping to make this happen. Bettina sent me her own copies of Eventer’s Dream (1981), A Hoof in the Door (1982) and Ticket to Ride (1983), all of which I enjoyed and probably should have returned to her! I was excited when she told me the author had written a fourth book, after all these years, Courses for Horses (2023) and ordered it from Book Depository. So earlier this month, I decided this was the right moment to reread the trilogy (guiltily noticing Bettina’s name inscribed in each book) but lo and behold, there is no sign of the fourth book in my house! I found an email saying it was on its way so I have not given up searching but I do wonder if perhaps it never arrived. Quite annoying! I may have to go to Portugal to read Bettina’s copy, now that Book Depository is no more.
I also liked Foster by Claire Keegan (2010) about a small girl uprooted from her family to spend part of the summer with strangers, then once she has adjusted and feels secure, is summoned home like a package. I'll be discussing it tonight with a group of lawyers. My review.

Next Up: I had Gale Force by Owen Laukkanen on my 20 Books of Summer two years ago but never got to it so am determined to read it this August.  I really like his Stevens and Windermere series and wish the publisher had been more supportive so he could continue it.
Waiting on my front porch when I got home from work was hot-off-the-press Codename Charming by Lucy Parker (2023). This is a fake relationship romance, second in her new Palace Insiders series with a royal theme. I am sure those who follow the Royal Family or have enjoyed Parker’s previous books will like this one. 

Are you Team Kate, Team Meghan, or simply not interested?

3 comments:

Cath said...

The Lake District series is very good, isn't it, but they seem to have fizzled out - ME now concentrating on other things. Glad you liked the first Damien Boyd book, it's not the best, like a lot of series they get better as they go along. I do also think that part of the appeal for me is that I live in the area where they're set and it's fun knowing exactly where he means when he mentions a place.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Are all other things being dropped in favour of the new Lucy Parker? I'm first in the queue for the library e-book copy so should have it soon. I reread Battle Royal last week so am excited to be reunited with these characters. As eager as I am to read it, I picked up Tom Lake by Ann Patchett this morning and am so completely immersed and in love with it that I wouldn't be able to put it down, even for something as much-anticipated at the Parker.

TracyK said...

There are some interesting books here. I have only read the first book in the Lake District series by Martin Edwards so I need to get reading on book #2. Glad to hear that you liked the book by Damien Boyd, I hope to read that someday.