Wednesday, April 24, 2024

WWW Wednesday – April 24

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.

The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?


Currently Reading
Gilbert & Sullivan Set Me Free is an unusual and appealing young adult book set in a women’s prison outside Boston in the early 1900s, based on a real occurrence. We don’t know why 16-year-old Libby is in prison (I assume I will find out soon), surrounded by murderers, thieves, and whores, but when the new chaplain hears Libby and Mother McCreary singing in the kitchen, she decides to start a choir. The women are excited about this new activity and soon they are putting on The Pirates of Penzance. Thank you to Manybooks for the recommendation!
I am also reading The Road to Oz, the fifth in the Oz book series for Lory’s Ozathon24. Some in this series are definitely better than others! But there is a memorable part in this book I haven’t got to yet and it has to do with Toto.
My current audiobook is The Seagull by Ann Cleeves, the eighth book featuring Vera Stanhope (I like the way this narrator pronounces it “Stan-up”).

Just Finished
The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese is 776 pages, which is an undertaking, even for people who like long books as I do. It was too heavy to bring on the plane to Shreveport last week, given I was taking the subway to and from the airport, but picking it back up after four days away was still compelling. I will admit my usual book about India is about the British Raj, not poor farmers in a remote village. It’s about three generations of an Indian family in South India, initially focusing on a girl at the turn of the 20th century, her arranged marriage, and her descendants. There is also a medical aspect as befits its doctor author, the fight for independence from Britain, and a whole lot of sorrow. I enjoyed it but they should shrink wrap the paperback with Kleenex!

Next Up
I was invited to a booksigning recently for The Literary Undoing of Victoria Swan by Virginia Pye. I was delayed at work and didn’t make it but the host got me an autographed copy. Then I remembered I had another book by a completely different Virginia Pye called Snow Bird, illustrated by Richard Kennedy. They are not related. Snow Bird seems to be about siblings who complain about living in London. Are they crazy?! I am surprised my friend Emily did not leave a sarcastic post-in note inside.
I have the new Tana French from the library but now I remember I didn’t really like The Searcher and this is a sequel.

                                               *     *     *

Saturday is Independent Bookstore Day and I have always meant to visit An Unlikely Story in Plainville, MA, which is owned by the author of the Wimpy Kid books (I have not read these but several of my nephews have). Apparently, someone will be dressed up in a Wimpy Kid costume for pictures. Better yet, at 7 pm two authors I like will make an appearance, Clare Mackintosh and Hank Philippi Ryan.

6 comments:

Helen said...

I loved Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese and I do want to read The Covenant of Water, but the length has been putting me off. I'm glad you enjoyed it - and thanks for the warning about it being sad!

Sam said...

The Covenant of Water is a long, long ride, but what a ride it turns out to be. It did seem to take me forever to read it, and it's not a book I ever did find a way to comfortably hold for very long. It was even to thick for an old bookstand I used to use for reading door-stopper-sized books. In the end, I don't think it quite lived up to its billing, but it is one of those stories I think I'll end up always remembering.

Funny you should say that about the new Tana French novel. I find her to be kind of hit and miss for me. I really like some of her books and really dislike others. Not much in between for me yet.

CLM said...

One of the interesting things about Covenant of Water was (I think) the one place where he used a flashback. It might have spoiled the story if we had known what happened to Elsie earlier but structurally it was a big change from the rest of the book. I did start wondering about halfway through how he would connect these random people and I thought that was done reasonably well. I really liked the Swedish doctor and the far-off funders!

There are two doctors in my book group and I will be very disappointed if they don't attend our discussion on Monday (at least virtually) and share their thoughts!

TracyK said...

I am interested in hearing more about Gilbert & Sullivan Set Me Free.

776 pages is very long. I have read a few books longer than that, but it is very hard for me to start a book that long. Right now I am reading The Lincoln Highway which is about 575 pages, and I am less than halfway through.

That is a funny story about the two authors named Virginia Pye.

CLM said...

This is the NYT article that inspired the author of the G&S book, Tracy:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1914/06/21/100095561.html?pageNumber=49

Let me know if you can't open it.

I liked The Lincoln Highway and it was a good book to discuss with my book group but I did think it was a little long.

TracyK said...

Thanks for that link, Constance. I read it all and it was extremely interesting. I will definitely have to find a copy of that book.

I am on the fence about The Lincoln Highway. Not exactly my type of book, and thus the length of the book is irritating. I don't want to give up on it but I may have to break it up and read some other things in between. I can see that it would be a good book for a book group.