Thursday, June 6, 2024

20 Books of Summer 2024

This is my third time participating in the 20 Books of Summer Reading Challenge, which is hosted by Cathy at 746 Books from June 1 to September 1, and gives me a fun opportunity to prioritize some books for summer and not simply read my library reserves as they come in.  This is a week late but I was busy trying to organize the world, or at least, my particular corner of it (middling success so far). I have enjoyed Cathy’s challenge twice before although last year I just read 11/20.  I added one of those unread books to my list.
The Vanishing of Carolyn Wells by Rebecca Rego Barry (2024). The first biography of one of the “lost ladies” of detective fiction who wrote more than eighty mysteries and hundreds of other works between the 1890s and the 1940s.
Invitation to Die by Barbara Cleverly (2019). May Balls, punting on the Cam, flirting and dancing the tango are the preoccupations of bright young people, but bright young Detective Inspector John Redfyre finds himself mired in multiple murders in 1924 Cambridge.

The Ration Book Baby by Ellie Curzon (2023). Nurse Annie Russell finds a baby in a hatbox on her doorstep. She has enough worries coping in WWII England but knows the child and her mother need help.  Curzon's Twitter account @MadameGilfurt features gorgeous costumes and is fun to follow.  My review.

Becoming Madam Secretary by Stephanie Dray (2024). A look at the life and work of Frances Perkins, the first woman to serve in a presidential cabinet. This can’t be renewed so I am reading it first.  My review.

Gunpowder Plot by Carola Dunn (2006). During the winter of 1924, Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher travels to a school friend's house to witness the estate's famous Guy Fawkes celebration and, of course, finds herself involved in a murder.

The Secret Stealers by Jane Healey (2021). A grieving widow in Washington DC finds purpose during WWII when she’s recruited into the Office of Strategic Services by legendary Major General William Donovan.

Murder at Government House by Elspeth Huxley (1937). Life in the colonial capital at Chania is relaxed and blooming, but Olivia Brandeis, a young anthropologist working in the region, senses something is wrong – and soon someone is murdered.

A Botanist’s Guide to Parties and Poisons by Kate Khavari (2022). Saffron Everleigh, a research assistant in botany, is determined to blaze a new trail at the University College London, but is sidetracked when her mentor is accused of murder.

Gale Force by Owen Laukkanan (2018). A freak maritime accident has made McKenna Rhodes the captain of the salvage boat Gale Force, but it has also made her cautious. Can she take advantage of an ocean disaster, survive Japanese gangsters and another more predatory salvage boat?
Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane (2023). A tale of revenge, family love, festering hate, and insidious power, set against one of the most tumultuous episodes in Boston’s history, school desegregation.

The Last Apple Tree by Claudia Mills (2024). When feuding neighbors Sonnet and Zeke are paired up for a class project, they unearth a secret that could uproot Sonnet’s family—or allow it to finally heal and grow.
The Maplin Bird by K.M. Peyton (1965). An orphaned sister and brother become involved with a wealthy smuggler and his operation on the Essex seacoast in the mid-19th century.  I must have read this as a teen but I don't remember it and was pleased to find a discarded copy recently.

The Literary Undoing of Victoria Swann by Virginia Pye (2023). Swann is a successful woman author of romance and adventure novels who becomes a champion of women's rights as she takes on the literary establishment and finds her true voice.

Strangers in Carrigmore by Meta Mayne Reid (1958). Colly and Kay McKean, their cousin Charlotte and half-cousin Rosa, become involved in a plot to rob the Museum of Carrigmore Castle of its priceless relics in gold and silver. My review.

Corrupt Practices by Robert Rotstein (2013). When Rich Baxter is accused of embezzling millions from a church, he turns to star trial attorney Parker Stern to defend him – but Stern has not entered a courtroom since his mentor committed suicide.

Testimony by Anita Shreve (2008). A sex scandal at an exclusive New England boarding school unleashes a storm of shame and recrimination, while the headmaster has to contain the bad publicity before it destroys the school.

The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons (2015). A dual-time line novel set at an English country estate about a musical English family and its efforts to save their family home.

Long Island by Colm Tóibín (2024). This is the story of Eilis Lacey, the complex heroine of Brooklyn, Tóibín’s most popular work, twenty years later as she copes with the marriage that kept her in New York.

Good Night, Irene by Luis Alberto Urrea (2023). In 1943, Irene Woodward abandons an abusive fiancé in New York to enlist with the Red Cross and head to Europe, where she is buoyed by the friendships she makes.

Mrs. Hart’s Marriage Bureau by Sheena Wilkinson (2023). Matchmaker Martha hopes the new hire, a lively Irish girl, will breathe fresh air into a business struggling to keep with the times amid the tumult of 1930s Britain.
Three of these books are autographed – two inscribed to me! Can you guess which ones?

Have you read any of these?  Here is the breakdown, which could have been more well-rounded: one nonfiction, one straight fiction, seven mysteries/suspense, three children’s books, and eight historical novels.  Eight are set in the UK, eight in the US, two in France, one in Crete, and one in the Pacific Ocean.  I added pictures of the books I don’t yet have in my possession.

9 comments:

Cath said...

The only one I've read is the Daisy Dalrymple book, Gunpowder Plot, which I don't remember at all due to the fact that I've read 22 of them! Very interested in some of the others though, especially The Vanishing of Carolyn Wells, who I have not heard of, and A Botanist's Guide to Parties and Poisons. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Aaack! Book comments aside, you have my love seat! Ha, ha. We bought ours new in 1998 with the purchase of our first house, and I absolutely loved it---loved the material and best cushions ever. Had to get rid of it about 4 years ago and I still miss it. So fun to see it---and looking so much better than mine did by the time it left our house!

My first book read for the challenge is The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford. On to #2!

Haven't read any of your choices. Will be fun to hear which ones are autographed and inscribed...I don't have any guesses!

Jen

Judith said...

I am totally gobsmacked by some of your titles in this list!!!
Wow! The Marlin Bird by K.M. Peyton. What a superb author she was, truly! I still have a couple of her books that I picked up at library book sales years ago.
I read The Marlin Bird, but it was SO many decades ago. I must go back. In fact, I want to collect her books, if there are any still available out there to be collected. I loved the horsey ones--set in the Edwardian era.
She was a favorite of my mother's (a school librarian) in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. She turned me on to Peyton. Thank you so much for reminding me!
Whoops--Can't get back to your list without losing this post, so I'll come back and say more later.
Happy reading this summer!!
Best wishes to you!
Judith

TracyK said...

Aha, you decided to join the challenge. This is a very interesting list. Many of the books and / or the authors are not familiar to me, so it will be good to hear what you think of them.

I have read one book by Anita Shreve and the first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series. Owen Laukkanen is a Canadian author that I haven't read yet.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

So many of these are new to me so I'll definitely look forward to following your progress through the summer! The Solomons is wonderful. I read it back in 2015 (under the alternative title of The Song Collector) and it was one of my favourite books that year.

CLM said...

Cath, I liked the first Daisy book well enough and picked this ex-lib copy up for $.50 so feel I have to read it, albeit out of order.

Jen, you have my yellow flowered love seat?!! I have the couch and love seat and although I agonized about buying something that seemed the opposite of study, I have had them about 25 years and I still find them so cheerful and attractive. The only time I ever yelled at my brother's dog was when she jumped on the couch and she was so surprised that she immediately got off and never dared get on it again.

Tracy, I loved Laukkanen's The Professionals series but I guess sales were not strong enough for the publisher to continue. I have tried to get into this one without success but I really want to get it read this summer.

Claire, I think I own two (unread) books by Solomons but this was closer to the top of the pile I was selecting from.

Judith, I would Peyton among my favorite authors and post about her often. I was so sad when she died recently: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/2023/12/spell-month-in-books-december-2023.html

LyzzyBee said...

What a lovely pile! I've read 1.5 of my 20 so far - oops!

Buried In Print said...

Ohhh, a Peyton I don't know: what a lucky find as someone else's discard!

My guesses for your signed copies are Urrea and Toibin. (I admire both of them but haven't kept up very well. I've read more of Urrea I'd guess.)

thecuecard said...

Nice list! I've read only one of these the Dennis Lehane novel which I liked quite a bit but it's gritty ... I'm curious what you will think of it being from there. Also curious about the Urrea novel and if it's good .... glad you will vet it for us. And I hope to get to Long Island as well. I'm really wondering which books you had signed .... you must fill us in. Enjoy your reads.