Monday, August 26, 2024

Two's Company - set during the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg

Whe Claire Farrell left New York, heading south in her new convertible, it was ostensibly to visit her grandparents in Williamsburg, but really to pursue a handsome actor, Whit Bowdon, performing in summer theater. Whit is sophisticated and willing to do whatever it takes to advance his career, in contrast to Philip Young, a young architect boarding with the Farrells, who is focused on the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg – and enjoys teasing Claire about her lack of interest in history.
Her grandfather considers the restoration “plumb foolishness,” and resents his home town being turned into a tourist attraction. Claire is shallow and thoughtless when she arrives but slowly she matures; she is only eighteen. She gets a job at a bookstore; she goes on the official tour of the historic sites where her aunt is a guide, dressed in 18th century clothing; and she comes to appreciate what Williamsburg represents. She finally sees through self-centered Whit and realizes it is Philip who will bring her happiness.
Restoring Colonial Williamsburg was a 20th century project begun by the determined rector of the historic Bruton Parish Church, who got John D. Rockefeller, Jr. involved financially in the 1920s. Restoration included most of Williamsburg’s original eighteenth-century area, and hundreds of buildings built after 1790 were demolished to create a site that stretches across 301 acres. The restoration was intended to serve an educational purpose and, coming between the two world wars, it stirred patriotic feeling in American values. And while many locals welcomed the project, others were as disturbed as Claire’s grandfather.  I have been to Williamsburg three times: the first was when the Harvard Football team went down to play William & Mary while I was the manager.  Although Coach Restic agreed with me that the trip should include Colonial Williamsburg, there wasn't time so the best we could do was drive past.  I returned a few years later and toured with my parents.  Once, I also managed dinner at the King's Arms Tavern while on a business trip nearby, which was touristy but fun.
Elswyth Thane must have been inspired by the publicity around the restoration when she conceived of her beloved Williamsburg novels. She brings Colonial Williamsburg to life in the first book, Dawn’s Early Light (1943), about a young Englishman, just off the boat in 1774 Williamsburg, who takes a job as a schoolmaster, hoping to make enough money for his return passage home. He is slightly appalled by the revolutionary Virginians he meets but their welcome to a stranger and his own sense of fairness eventually turns him into a patriot, willing to take up arms against his king to help claim independence.
It’s not an unusual plot but it is funny that the two books I requested at the same time, Spring Dream and Two’s Company, both involve young women leaving Manhattan to be with family they don’t know well. Both think they are in love with sophisticated New Yorkers (who care primarily about themselves) but fortunately meet worthwhile young men, committed to supporting their communities, and learn to value them instead. The books were written 12 years apart and set in different parts of the country but have these entertaining similarities.
Betty Cavanna
Source and Bio: InterLibrary Loan from the Enoch Pratt Library in Baltimore. Cavanna (1909 - 2001) wrote for teens from the early 1940s through 1987, beginning her career with short stories before her first book was published in 1943, Puppy Stakes. Her second husband was a professor at MIT and they lived in Concord, MA (a pity I never wrote to her when she was 40 minutes away). Her final years were spent in Vézelay, France (which I visited nearly two years ago), where her only son had become a priest of the Eastern Orthodox Church. Her manuscripts and correspondence are preserved in the de Grummond Collection at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Author: Betty Cavanna
Illustrator: Edward J. Smith
Publication: The Westminster Press, hardcover, 1951
Genre: Young Adult
Setting: Williamsburg, VA

5 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Sounds intriguing! I've only read 2 books by Cavanna but they were solidly entertaining. You'll be excited to hear that my ILL hold on Dawn's Early Light is in transit to me and I can't wait to get started!

thecuecard said...

Speaking of: I never made it to Colonial Williamsburg even though I lived in Northern Virginia at one time. Ugh terrible that I didn't make a trip. You managed the football team? Wow. I need to go back.

CLM said...

I really hope you like it, Claire. Julian is a great character but it is St. John Sprague the reader might fall in love with. If you like it enough to continue with the series, I will save you my duplicate copies. Cavanna's books are predictable but there are a handful that I always felt transcend the drama. Most people's favorite is Paintbox Summer, which is very hard to find. The first one I read was A Girl Can Dream, about a girl who wins flying lessons. I had gone to the school library during my lunch period and became so engrossed I forgot to go back to my classroom. Suddenly, my fifth grade teacher appeared and physically dragged me back to social studies. I had to race back to the library after school to check it out and bring it home.

Susan, Colonial Williamsburg might be an acquired taste and my visits have been fleeting but enjoyable. I didn't remember ever having read this Cavanna until I got to the part about the grandfather resenting the Restoration and the tourists, which was familiar. Then when I read about all the houses Rockefeller apparently bought and then destroyed to create Colonial Williamsburg, I could see while some were unhappy about it.

TracyK said...

I can see that Cavanna is a favorite author for you. And the setting of that novel sounds very good.

CLM said...

It's true; Cavanna is one of my favorite teen authors, although this one is fairly formulaic. Some of her books are set in generic suburban towns but I enjoy the ones that have more unusual settings. She also wrote an entire mystery series, the Connie Blair books, under the pseudonym "Betsy Allen" but was nominated for an Edgar Award for two books written as Betty Cavanna.