Wednesday, March 27, 2024

WWW Wednesday – March 27

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.  

The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?


Currently Reading
I am reading Mrs. Quinn’s Rise to Fame by Olivia Ford (2024), a fun story about a woman about to celebrate her 60th wedding anniversary who decides to try out for a British Baking Show. Unfortunately, my audiobook is from the library and just evaporated into the ether on a due date that crept up on me. I’ve put another copy on hold but may have to wait several weeks as it is very popular!  Thank you to Shana for the recommendation.
I’m also in the middle of The Shooting Party by Isobel Colegate (1980). I had always meant to read this as I read somewhere it was one of the inspirations for Downton Abbey. It is set on a country estate prior to WWI with all the Upstairs Downstairs of the house party’s hosts, guests, and servants. It’s been living in my gym bag which is why I haven’t finished yet.  The movie looks good too.
My Greater NY Betsy-Tacy group just read Meet the Austins by Madeleine L’Engle (1960). I didn’t have time to look at it before the discussion – I thought I knew it so well and I do, but somehow still started rereading the minute we finished Zooming.

Completed
My book group just finished Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner (2021), a memoir in which the author mourns the Korean-born mother she never understood. Most of us were disappointed by this book, which started out and perhaps should have remained a New Yorker article.  The food descriptions were entertaining, however.
I also just read a mystery called The Busy Body by Kemper Donovan (2024). The main character is a ghostwriter offered the assignment of a lifetime – to collaborate on the memoir of a former senator who just lost the presidential election. As if that isn’t enough, someone they meet together dies mysteriously so what could be more appropriate than investigating the murder? I was pleased to see a book published by my old friends at Kensington attracting good review attention. This is the first in a series.

Reading Next
For April, my book group is reading The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese, a multigenerational family saga set during the 20th century in southwest India. The author is a distinguished doctor (some of his training was in Boston) whose books have been bestsellers. We read Cutting for Stone in 2011.  
I am looking forward to Wheel of Fortune by C.F. Dunn, a historical novel set during the Wars of the Roses (with an Elizabeth Chadwick quote on the cover) that I got for Christmas. I need to finish my taxes so I can relax with this one!

Are you tempted by any of these?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I want to read Mrs Quinns Rise to Fame. How annoying that it vanished. I hope it doesn't take too long to get back to you.

How interesting that the Shooting Party was the inspiration for Downton. I am so behind on that series. And I also haven't seen any of the films yet!

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/03/27/www-wednesday-currently-reading-finished-reading-reading-next-79/

TracyK said...

The Busy Body by Kemper Donovan sounds interesting. I will look for a copy sometime in the future but I better go put it on list right now.