Sunday, March 9, 2008

Gossip Girl

I have always felt I didn't have much in common with the New Yorker, and my grandmother would tell you even the cartoons aren't very funny any more. I remember my mother telling me when I was a child that New Yorker fiction is selected after their editors purposefully lose the first page and last page at the photocopy machine, and my limited reading of said fiction has done little to change this impression.

Nevertheless, I was amused to hear that Janet Malcolm had been praising Gossip Girl. I wouldn't exactly say that Gossip Girl is a guilty pleasure because once you have read one, you have read them all, but at any rate - in my mind at least - contemplating the average New Yorker reader avidly reading about Blair and Serena is amusing... I don't think I would have been enamored of Gossip Girl as a teen: I am sure I would have preferred Janet Lambert (and still do).

No comments: