Thursday, February 4, 2010

Can't Blame This on the Post Office

Today I got a rejection letter for a job I didn't remember applying for with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts! Given that I have not updated my resume or applied for a job in a year, I was puzzled. I kept on reading and the letter helpfully told me the job had been posted on the Commonwealth's website in December 2008 and they had received my resume promptly! It continued:

"Please be advised that the Department has determined that the posting for this position will be rescinded. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Happily, I had not put my life on hold waiting for an interview so was not inconvenienced, thank you.

Forget about hiring lawyers, I think Massachusetts had better hire some more sophisticated/competent Human Resources personnel. After all, if you are going to wait 14 months to get back to your applicants, wouldn't it be more cost efficient not to waste $.44 on a stamp at this point? By then, they are not expecting to hear from you. Those stamps are coming out of my taxes, and I would rather you spent that money on the Commonwealth's health care plan.

No comments: