Wednesday, October 12, 2022

WWW Wednesday – October 12, 2022

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.

The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?
Currently Reading:

I am listening to Another View by Rosamunde Pilcher (1968) which I do not remember having read previously but, unfortunately, I saw a spoiler sentence right after I began. It is partially set in Porthkerrris, Cornwall like The Shell Seekers.

Die Around Sundown by Mark Prior (2022). I was intrigued by the description of this mystery set in German-occupied Paris during WWII but the beginning was slow and the protagonist not very likable so I put it aside temporarily for several due-soon library books.
The Lucky Ones by Linda Williams Jackson (2022). Based on the author’s childhood in Mississippi, this is the story of Ellis Earl, who dreams of a real house, food enough for the whole family—and to be someone. This is the October selection of the de Grummond Book Group.

Recently Finished:

Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson (2022). I wasn’t sure I liked this but Atkinson’s unerring ability to weave disparate characters’ stories together soon captivated me. Her books remind me of John Verney’s series about the Callendar family: you get carried away while you are reading them but really need to start at the beginning again once you finish in order to understand what you read. If you have the energy!
Hostages to Fortune by Joan Lingard (1977). This is the last of five books about Protestant Sadie and Catholic Kevin from Belfast, now living in a caravan in Wales, trying to make a living but expecting their second child. Their willingness to work hard and ability to make friends even in the most difficult situations helps them survive every challenge.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus (2022). This is a humorous yet melancholy book about a brilliant woman scientist who makes a life for herself despite those actively trying to steal her work and bring her down. My review.
Reading Next:

Speedy Death by Gladys Mitchell (1929). I bought this while in London and plan to read it for the #1929Club later this month. It’s the first in a series featuring a psychoanalyst sleuth, Mrs. Beatrice Lestrange Bradley, who observes and interprets all, from shrieks in the night to drowning attempts to poisoning.
Have you read any of these? What are you reading this week?

3 comments:

Emily said...

I want to read Lessons In Chemistry - hopefully I am going to get it for Christmas!

Speedy Death looks good.

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/12/www-wednesday-currently-reading-finished-reading-reading-next-17/

Tracy said...

At the moment I am reading My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart. It's an old book that belonged to my mother-in-law. It is set in Greece in the 1960's and I am enjoying it very much. I haven't read Speedy Death, but I did read a later Gladys Mitchell mystery a few months ago and, to be honest, it didn't really grab me. I think this was because I have fond memories of The Mrs Bradley Mysteries on tv with the wonderful Diana Rigg as Mrs Bradley and the literary version was quite different, so I may be a bit biased!

CLM said...

Speedy Death has been a little slow and the audio book I just began, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, is so good I didn't want to get out of my car tonight!

My Brother Michael is excellent! I love the beginning and it has a wonderful sense of place. I would really like to go to Greece!