Monday, August 7, 2023

Our Castle by the Sea by Lucy Strange - an exciting novel set on England's southeast coast during WWII

Title: Our Castle by the Sea
Author/Narrator: Lucy Strange
Publication: Scholastic, audiobook/paperback, 2019
Genre: Juvenile Historical Fiction
Setting: WWII Britain
Description: Petra Smith and her family live on the southeast coast of England; her father is the lighthouse keeper and they have been very happy until war begins. Then Petra’s older sister Magda starts getting into fights, defending their German-born mother, and becomes secretive. When their mutti is taken away and interned as an enemy alien, Petra knows her mother is not a spy but she feels helpless and is scared of the changes war has brought to her family – not just her mother's departure but also rationing, the spooky old man living in a cottage on the cliff, bombers flying overhead, and the fear of a Nazi invasion. The only constant in her life is the long-ago legend that four young girls sang their fishermen fathers home from the treacherous sea, then as payment were turned into the mysterious standing stones on the clifftop.

My Impression: This was a captivating story, from the beginning when Pa tells his daughters the legend of the standing stones to the end where Petra yearns for good news after a year of tragedy. When WWII begins, Petra, who is only twelve, has no idea how brave she will need to be to cope with the challenges ahead. She does know that her volatile sister has been acting oddly and it was realistic that the sisters are at odds for much of the book, as Magda does have a dangerous secret and is extremely careless of her younger sister’s needs. At times, Petra is very observant, and at others, she seems slow at making deductions about what is going on around her (if I can coax my 12 year-old-niece to read this, she will instantly guess why Magda is distracted). Where the author excels is depicting the tension that consumes this coastal town near Dover as the war gets closer, including a scene in a bakery owned by an Italian couple where an old man hisses, “Jerry!” at Petra’s German-born mother (and the Italians are later interned as well). Strange creates very strong secondary characters such as Edie, who works at the bakery; Spooky Joe, the old man on the cliff; and Pinstripe, the detective investigating Mrs. Smith’s alleged traitorous activities.

The most breathtaking part of the book is the evacuation from Dunkirk, in the north of France, between May 26 May and June 4, 1940.  The British Admiralty appealed to owners of small boats to go to France to rescue the British, French, and Belgian troops that had been pushed back by the Germans. Over 800 vessels made the trip and more than 300,000 soldiers were rescued. Of course, I know about this famous part of WWII but Strange's narrative is dramatic and exciting.  Magda, who had yearned to join the WRENS but was not old enough, is determined to take her boat the 20 miles to France and sneaks out of the house while her sister is asleep. Petra waits all day, then all night on the clifftop, willing a safe return and calling on the legend of the standing stones to protect her family:
Then, without any warning, the idea was there in my head and I knew exactly what I had to do. I had to sing. Fear shivered through me as I turned towards the Daughters of Stone.

The fishermen’s daughters sang a song of love and loyalty and sacrifice to bring their fathers safely home. This was the moment I had always known about in my bones, ever since Pa first told me the legend. This was the moment in which I would finally become part of this ancient story. The sky wrapped around me, gray as fate, enveloping me, together with the stones and the cold-smoking sea. . . . I was aware of the stones all around me as I sang. I knew from the quickened pulsing of my heart that the ancient magic was not dusty and sleeping: it was alive, it was awake. I didn’t need to look at the stones to know they were listening to me, their granite glittering like frost in the dawn light.
Dunkirk; photo credit English Heritage
Of course, Petra and Magda are not the only young people we know who are distrusted because of their German heritage. Even when America was still neutral during the First World War, the sinking of the Lusitania and other neutral shipping created anti-German feeling. Our own Tib Muller, whose German-American family had settled in Wisconsin and Minnesota, explained to Betsy Ray that she was philosophical about it but that her brothers were stung by suspicions of their loyalty and Hobbie was thinking about going to Canada to enlist. In Britain, at least 30,000 enemy aliens were interned starting in 1915 (including Petra’s mutti), and more than 2,000 German-born or German-Americans were interned in the US after April 1917, when the US entered the war. According to the Library of Congress:
For German American culture, however, the new century was a time of severe setbacks--and a devastating blow from which it has never fully recovered.

The coming of World War I brought with it a backlash against German culture in the United States. When the U.S. declared war on Germany in 1917, anti-German sentiment rose across the nation, and German American institutions came under attack. Some discrimination was hateful, but cosmetic: The names of schools, foods, streets, and towns, were often changed, and music written by Wagner and Mendelssohn was removed from concert programs and even weddings. Physical attacks, though rare, were more violent: German American businesses and homes were vandalized, and German Americans accused of being "pro-German" were tarred and feathered, and, in at least one instance, lynched.

The most pervasive damage was done, however, to German language and education. German-language newspapers were either run out of business or chose to quietly close their doors. German-language books were burned, and Americans who spoke German were threatened with violence or boycotts. German-language classes, until then a common part of the public-school curriculum, were discontinued and, in many areas, outlawed entirely. None of these institutions ever fully recovered, and the centuries-old tradition of German language and literature in the United States was pushed to the margins of national life, and in many places effectively ended.
I remember being so shocked when Jo March marries a distinctly unglamorous German professor (let alone that it wasn’t Laurie) and my mother having to explain to me that in Alcott’s day, his German intellectualism would have been very alluring. I was unimpressed.
Those who love Flambards or The War That Saved My Life will also enjoy Our Castle By the Sea. There are a few bits that are predictable or hard to accept but the author’s skill carries the reader along – when I was listening to the audiobook, I didn’t want to get out of the car. I had read an earlier book by this author, The Secret of Nightingale Wood, which I liked well enough, but this was much more impressive and I gave it 5 stars. This is also my seventeenth book for the 2023 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.

Source: Library

6 comments:

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

More than your review, this particular excerpt really caught my attention: "I remember being so shocked when Jo March marries a distinctly unglamorous German professor.... I was unimpressed." Haha! Yes, I have been there and been equally unimpressed. It felt like Jo realized too late that Laurie was a great loss, so at least the professor came along... :D But glad you liked the book, and hope you've been well!

Katrina said...

This one sounds right up my street. There were so many links with Germany in the UK up until WW1. With Victoria marrying a German a lot of upper class people did the same thing and boarding schools had close links with German schools. An elderly friend of mine claims that German was the language of Victoria's court, but I don't know if I can believe that. Kaiser biscuits became Empire biscuits and they are still known by that name.
Jack's father was one of those 300,000 on the beach at Dunkirk, it's just as well he was rescued otherwise there would have been no Jack!

CLM said...

Katrina, that is amazing! I assume your father-in-law was young and single during the war? Did he describe his experience to his children or was he the more traditional tight-lipped or modest veteran? I will always think of him now when I read about Dunkirk. When we were in Canada in June, we had brunch with a Dorothy Dunnett friend of my mother's whose father was an RAF pilot who died before she was born, again, just coming from the pages of history.

Lex, as Katrina was saying, so many cultural experiences that involved Germany were just discarded or vilified overnight. But Professor Bhaer could have been drawn a little more attractively! Having just visited Orchard House in Concord, I was reminded by the tour guide that Louisa violently resisted her publisher's demand that Jo get married, but finally gave in and perhaps just wanted to show them all.

TracyK said...

This book has so many interesting events in it, and it would be interesting to read about a family affected by a German family member being interned. I will have to look into this book more.

Katrina said...

I just got my copy of the book in the post today. Yes Jack's dad was not married although he had been going out with J's mother since they were at school, he was 21. He was in the Territorial Army (similar to your National Guard) and they were the first to be called up in 1939. At one point he was one field away from a German tank as he had been ordered to stay behind to burn all the paperwork, codes and such. He didn't say much about his experiences though. Neither did my dad, he was in the Merchant Navy on ships that were torpedoed, he was lucky to survive too. He didn't talk about it and it was just when he remarked while we were watching an old film together that it was a horrible feeling watching the torpedo wake and waiting for it to hit that I realised what a rough time he had had on the Malta convoy and others. I should do more research as he is long dead now.

Marg said...

Great review!

Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge!