Thursday, October 26, 2023

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie #ReadChristie23

Title: Murder on the Orient Express
Author: Agatha Christie
Publication: William Morrow, trade paperback, originally published in 1934
Genre: Mystery
Description: Hercule Poirot has been in Syria, investigating a military scandal for an old acquaintance, and is eager to return home. On the train to Stamboul/Istanbul, he encounters a retired British colonel from India and a young woman working as a governess. All three transfer to the Orient Express in Stamboul, heading to France. The train is so full that Poirot has to travel second-class but that does not stop his curiosity about his fellow travelers, including those he has already observed and an American millionaire who tells Poirot he has been threatened, offering him $20,000 to take on his protection. Poirot declines, but when the train becomes snowbound in Yugoslavia, the man, Ratchett, is murdered while he is asleep in his compartment, door locked from the inside. As no one can leave the train, it seems likely the murderer is a passenger. 

Poirot’s friend, Monsieur Bouc, a Belgian who is a director of the train company, was also traveling on this train and asks Poirot to investigate the murder as the weather will prevent the police from coming. Poirot uses Bouc and a Greek doctor to test his theories as he interviews the first-class passengers but everyone has an alibi. This is Poirot’s best-known case, and all his ingenuity will be required to identify Ratchett’s killer and untangle the truth.
My Impression: The Orient Express was a famous luxury train route created in 1883 by the Belgian company Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits. It ran from Istanbul to Paris for more than 80 years, ending in 2009. Christie combines the picturesque train journey and venue cut off by snow (and throws in a locked train compartment for good measure), which not only prevents the local police from arriving but also means that Poirot cannot get information on the victim or suspects except from the passengers on the train. Like any corporate executive, M. Bouc wants to solve the problem quickly and minimize the damage to his company, so obviously he wants Poirot’s help. He is also challenging Poirot to put his money where his mouth is:
“Ah! mon cher.” M. Bouc’s voice became positively caressing. “I know your reputation. I know something of your methods. This is the ideal case for you. To look up the antecedents of all these people, to discover their bona fides – all that takes time and endless inconvenience. But have I not heard you say often that to solve a case a man has only to lie back in his chair and think? Do that. Interview the passengers on the train, view the body, examine what clues there are and then – well, I have faith in you! I am assured that it is no idle boast of yours. Lie back and think – use (as I have heard you say so often) the little gray cells of the mind – and you will know!”
The victim had orchestrated a child kidnapping (à la Charles Lindbergh) that ended tragically so no one on the train is sorry about his murder. The actual mystery about his killing and Poirot’s inspired deduction (which an ordinary reader is unlikely to guess) may not be plausible but it is Christie’s brilliance and creativity that is on display here. She was herself a fan of trains and of the Orient Express, which operates as its own memorable character.  This is not my favorite of her books but I assume it is the most famous and is certainly one that no reader would forget. Should I watch one of the movie adaptations? Maybe the most recent one with Kenneth Branagh as Poirot?
Murder on the Orient Express is the September book for Read Christie 2023 and my twenty-eighth book for Carol’s Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge.

Source: Library
Off the Blog: I dashed into the library tonight to pick up my reserves and the librarian told me the Mass Audubon Society was about to host an Owl Encounter.  Curious, I went into the meeting room and spent the next hour observing a talented wildlife educator and three beautiful owls she had brought to show us, one at a time (to about 50 people - more than I had ever seen at this small branch).  I loved this Barred Owl named Willow.  She made low cooing sounds and at first I thought she was called a Bard Owl!

7 comments:

Jerri said...

Thank you for a good spoiler free review. As to film adaptions, I much prefer the 1974 version. Albert Finney may not be the best Poirot ever, but the remainder of the star studded cast combine to produce a very memorable performance. I am not fond of the Kenneth Branagh vision of Poirot, great cinematography, but changing the feel of Christie's novels. David Suchet is usually my favorite vision of Poirot, but his Murder on the Orient Express is perhaps my least favorite of the series, I thought it lost the spirit of the novel.

CLM said...

I will see if I can get that version from the library, Jerri. Thank you for the recommendation. Do you have a favorite Christie? I also hate spoiler reviews although sometimes it is hard to avoid. And so many books have spoilers on the covers or inside! When I was an editor, the cover copy and inside matter would be routed to me to review and I would write things like, "The fact that the baby is the future king of Scotland is a secret until midway through the book!" or "She does not know the serial killer is her neighbor!" They were trying to lure the reader in but it annoyed me if they gave too much away.

Jerri said...

I have read pretty much all of Christie's works, my favorites varie from time to time. I have a soft spot for the Tommy and Tuppance adventures, although I know that some despise them. Also, The Man in the Brown Suit, especially since I learned how much of the background came from her personal travels. Sometimes I am in the mood for a pure puzzle mystery, and sometimes the more "romp" style fits my mood.

TracyK said...

Very nice review of this book. I agree that the film version with Albert Finney is the best adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express. I liked almost all of the TV adaptations with Suchet but his portrayal in Orient Express was off (in my opinion). The film with Brannagh was good, but the least like the book if I remember correctly. I would watch any of them again, however.

Fanda Classiclit said...

Not my favorite too, and I don't think the murder is quite plausible. To this day I still wonder how this book became that famous. Maybe because of the unexpected solution?
I have watched the recent Kenneth Branagh movie, and hated it.

TracyK said...

I forgot to say... I loved, loved, loved that owl. You are so lucky.

Katrina said...

It isn't Christie's best, but I enjoyed the 1970s film more than the more recent Branagh version. That is a lovely owl, I don't think we have Barred owls in Scotland. Although I don't often see owls I hear them a lot at night time, in the trees near our house.