Thursday, April 4, 2024

Meet the Austins by Madeleine L’Engle

Title: Meet the Austins
Author: Madeleine L’Engle
Publication: Laurel-Leaf paperback, originally published in 1960
Genre: Juvenile
Setting: New England
The original cover
Description: The Austins are a close-knit family of six – John is 15, Vicky, 12, Suzy 9, and sensitive Rob about five – they say grace at meals, Mrs. Austin reads aloud to all four at bedtime, and Dr. Austin is an old-fashioned country doctor with an office in his home as well as at a local hospital. Their lives are disrupted when their courtesy-aunt Elena calls to tell them her husband and his copilot were killed in a plane accident. The compassionate Austin parents offer to take in the co-pilot’s spoiled daughter Maggy. Between Vicky and Suzy in age, Maggy is spoiled and constantly seeks attention, which is extremely disruptive to the low-key Austin household. The book is told from Vicky’s point of view: she is ashamed of resenting orphaned Maggy but worries about her effect on the family and yearns for everything to go back to normal. Dr. and Mrs. Austin are firm but kind, which helps provide sufficient stability for Maggy to cope with her situation. By the time her elderly grandfather feels able to consider her future, she has become part of the Austin family.

My Impression: Having read this for the first time when I was about ten, I considered Meet the Austins a book about a fairly normal (albeit more spiritual than most) family so it was interesting to discuss it with the New York Chapter of the Betsy-Tacy Society, which started meeting on Zoom during the pandemic. About half had read it before but others found it a bit unconventional and abrupt. One pointed out that opening the book with such an abrupt death and a scene where distraught Elena plays the piano ferociously in her grief might be upsetting for young readers but others felt that children are tougher than that, accepting an off-screen event with equanimity. As I recall, several publishers turned the book down exactly because it began with a death but eventually Vanguard Press, part of FSG, published it.
My pb edition
The Austin parents worked hard to integrate Maggy to their family, showing affection but providing the discipline that has been missing from her life. There’s a surprising number of references to spanking, which reflects the era, but despite squabbling among the children, they are a very wholesome group. Vicky is L’Engle’s alter ego and, while later books about her may contain some supernatural aspects, in Meet the Austins, she is just an adolescent worried about her math homework, her looks, and (in The Moon by Night) boys (does anyone like Zachary Gray?). She is sandwiched between academically gifted John and extremely pretty Suzy. John and Vicky try to be nice to Maggy, and Suzy plays with and gets in trouble with her. Maggy and Suzy get in big trouble when they go into Dr. Austin’s office and use his sterilized instruments for an operation on a doll. They are sent separately to bed in disgrace and Mrs. Austin does not relent, unlike many modern parents:
After she’d howled for about half an hour Maggy came down the back stairs, pouting prettily to Mother. “I’m awfully sorry, Aunt Victoria. We didn’t know we were being bad.”

“Get back upstairs and into bed,” Mother said.

“But I said I’m sorry, Aunt Victoria!

“I’m glad you’re sorry, Maggy, but get back upstairs and into bed, anyhow, I will tell you when I think it’s time for you to come down.”

Mother spoke very quietly, very coldly, and Maggy obeyed. Up in bed she started to yowl again, but this time it didn’t last as long.
It is the youngest sibling, Rob, who shows the greatest empathy, and those who have read more than one book by this author knows her weakness for precocious, sensitive little boys. He sends Vicky his precious stuffed elephant when she is in the hospital and when Suzy is in disgrace he yearns to go comfort her. The Austins are a nice family although I suspect children reading this today would find them very square. On the other hand, one of the funniest chapters is when they all dress up and behave outrageously (Dr. Austin even pretends to be a chauffeur/butler) when their uncle Doug says he is coming for the weekend with a female guest. They assume it is another all-wrong girlfriend and decided to scare her off. When it is too late to modify their behavior, she turns out to be Maggy’s cousin, there to inspect them and determine if they are suitable hosts (notably, she does not thank them for taking Maggy in – probably because she is horrified by them). It is when they are at risk of losing Maggy that Vicky and John realize she has become part of the family.

Boston connection: At the end of the book, the Austin parents surprise the five children with a trip to Symphony Hall, where it turns out Aunt Elena is playing Rachmaninoff with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Source: Personal copy. I met L'Engle once at a booksigning at the old Brentano's on Fifth Avenue. People had driven from Ohio to be there! It was right before Christmas and the mood was very festive. I don't remember our conversation but I probably told her that my favorite book was And Both Were Young.  The book she signed was the beautifully produced The Glorious Impossible.

My computer is apparently more used to my writing about Austen than Austin, and keeps trying to impose its own version of spellcheck.

7 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

As a child, you're fairly limited to what you can find on the library shelves and so for years I never knew how many books there were about the Austins. I loved A Ring of Endless Light and Troubling a Star but they were the only ones I knew about until long after I grew up and out of the target age range of L'Engle. One day I'll have to fill in the gaps!

CLM said...

And I think I had aged out of some of the later ones, plus when characters from the Austins world started meeting characters from Meg Murry and her children's world (with ages that were totally not in sync), I thought ML'E was being way too self indulgent.

But you should look for And Both Were Young at your library if you haven't read that one!

Ms. Yingling said...

My roommate in college was a HUGE L'Engle fan, and I read some of the books I hadn't seen when I was younger because she had them. They were okay. I'm with you on the Austin/Murray crossover. If your book needs a family tree, you're having to explain too much!

CLM said...

I like family trees but they need to make sense time-wise. Elswyth Thane is one of my favorite authors and some of her books had family trees and some did not, which puzzled me as a teen. Now I think the way libraries rebound their books back in the day just covered up the end pages with the charts.

Lory said...

I had L'Engle sign a copy of The Glorious Impossible, too! I gave it away as a gift, though. We must have seen her on the same tour, though I was in New York.



CLM said...

Lory, I was in New York then so maybe we were at the same event! It was a beautiful Brentano's across the street from Rockefeller Center. I am not sure where my book is (probably in the attic) but I framed the poster that went with the book and that is hanging upstairs.

Lory said...

My signing was after a workshop I took with her upstate. So maybe not a book tour, but in the same season. :)