Wednesday, July 31, 2024

WWW Wednesday - July 31

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.

The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?

Currently Reading

I have been reading Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (2022) for what seems like forever but is probably just a week. It is clever but so depressing and seemingly endless; it’s like being trapped in a room with J.D. Vance.
A friend was having surgery today and was saving it for her recuperation: I told her she will be addicted to her painkillers before she knows it!

I’m listening to The Truth About the Devlins by Lisa Scottoline (2024). This is very different from the early books I enjoyed about an all-women law firm. I think I read those before I went to law school! The Devlins are a family of lawyers, except for younger son TJ, a recovering alcholic, who is drawn into a dangerous sitation when his brother John calls for help, saying he murdered a client.

Just Finished

I did take a break from Demon Copperhead to read Pony by R.J. Palacio (2021) for the NY Betsy-Tacy Group discussion on Monday. It is very different from Wonder, a contemporary which is her best known book – it’s set in 1860 about a boy whose father is kidnapped by gangsters. With the help of a ghost and a supernatural pony, he follows the bad guys to rescue his father.
I also just read two adult historical novels: Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane (2023), set during the Boston busing crisis in 1974, and The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons (2015) about brothers in love with the same woman after WWII.

Up Next: 

The Dance of the Dolls by Lucy Ashe (2023) tells the story of identical twin ballerinas rehearsing for Coppélia at the recently opened Sadler’s Wells Theatre. This is a thriller set in the 1930s in London that was just recommended to me.

Don’t tell Lory but I’m a little behind with Ozathon! Tik-Tok of Oz and Rinkitink in Oz are the next in the series.


RIP to Francine Pascal, who died July 28th at 92. She was the creator of the Sweet Valley High books, and one of my first assignments in publishing was to answer SVH fan mail (without a computer!) for Bantam Books. An arrogant young marketing guy gave me the assignment as if he couldn’t think what else to do with me and I hid my annoyance for several days (but never got over it and, annoying, he had a great career). By the third day, I was impatient with the letter-writers’ pleas for information on SVH’s location so they could persuade their parents to move. “Sweet Valley High is not real!” I wrote sternly. “And even if it were, Jessica and Elizabeth only hang out with cool people! Here’s a bookmark.” While I read a handful of SVH (Elizabeth was the good twin and Jessica the bad one), I thought Pascal’s best books were Hanging Out with Cici and its sequel (heroine Victoria Martin). The series and spinoffs sold more than 200 million. She did not write all the SVH herself; after the first handful, she wrote the outlines and work-for-hire writers cranked out the stories, without the royalties that made Pascal rich.

4 comments:

Emily said...

The dance of dolls sounds fascinating.

How interesting to get to answer fan mail. Well for a short time anyway. I can imagine that it could get a bit much!

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post: https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/07/31/www-wednesday-currently-reading-finished-reading-reading-next-96/

thecuecard said...

I'm still laughing about the JD Vance comment. I think Copperhead is better than that, lol. When he escapes to live at the football coach's house I thought he had made it .... but no! It took me three weeks to read last year ... but I made it .... there is some light perhaps at the very end. ha. I'm glad you liked Small Mercies, loved it too. Mary Pat!!

Sam said...

Demon Copperhead and Small Mercies make for an intense reading combination. I'm not sure I could have read those so close together or as overlapping reads. I loved both books but they are not they are not exactly filled with optimism about the world and society. Those teen books you mentioned brought back memories of how much my two daughters used to look forward to new books in that series when they were approaching that age. I really think that's what hooked them on reading - I know it cost me what seemed like a small fortune at the time to buy those and similar titles for them. lol

JaneGS said...

I truly laughed out loud at the Vance remark re: Copperhead! Well done. Yes, it is a bleak book, and you need to be in the right frame of mind to read it. I thought it was terrific, but I needed to take a break in the middle to refresh my palette.

Dance of the Dolls does sound good. I love the premise.