Friday, January 10, 2020

The Bookworm Crush by Lisa Brown Roberts

Title: The Bookworm Crush 
Author: Lisa Brown Roberts
Publication: Trade paperback, 2019, Entangled Publishing
Genre: Young Adult

Plot: Amy McIntyre, a rising high school senior, longs to win the chance to interview her favorite romance author but is worried that her natural reticence will prevent her from making the necessary impression on social media.  In desperation, she asks for help from her classmate Toff Nichols, a star surfer who rarely takes anything else seriously.  Toff is very popular and has always overlooked Amy, but he is intrigued by her request that he coach her to self confidence and agrees, with hilarious – if predictable – results.  Amy has long had a crush on Toff but once they start spending time together she learns that he has insecurities too, which may prevent him from recognizing he has feelings for her.

My Impressions: This is a delightful book I happened upon when visiting Tattered Cover in Denver in November.  I was standing in the YA department with my friend Camilla when it caught my eye.   You know the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover”?  I picked it up for its cover and then found the description equally appealing so purchased it for my sister and read it on the plane flying back to Boston.

Roberts is skilled at creating vivid characters, both major and minor.   I really enjoyed Amy and Toff, who were secondary players in a previous book, The Replacement Crush (which I am now waiting for from the library) by Roberts.  Amy’s pesky but cute little brother is portrayed more accurately than many siblings in fiction and his interactions with Toff are well done.   Even the grumpy Officer Hernandez is memorable.  And naturally, I appreciated that everything reminded Amy of a book because that happens to me too!

In some books, Toff’s surfing dedication and lack of interest in books might make him a sexy but one-dimensional character.  Instead, the reader learns that losing his mother who read him Harry Potter may have turned him off reading and how a surfing injury forces Toff to reevaluate some of his priorities.   Most importantly, Toff begins to mature and also reads a book or two!   I can’t wait to read more from this author.
Off the Blog: Meghan and Harry checking out of the Royal Family!   I understand their reasoning and agree Meghan has been treated abysmally by the British Press but I do not approve of Harry neglecting his duty and making such a decision without the Queen's approval.  And I hate that William and Harry, after all they have been through, may be estranged.  Somewhere Wallis Simpson is smirking . . .

Are you Team Meghan or Team Queen?

Source: Copy purchased for my sister’s birthday.

2 comments:

Dewena said...

Team Queen! But it's a shame the press is so down on the young couple and I hope they can lead more of the life they want to. Most importantly, I hope the family divisions can be healed.

Donna M said...

Team Queen!