Friday, July 17, 2020

Bookshelf Traveling - July 17

Time for another round of Bookshelf Traveling in Insane Times which is being hosted by Judith at Reader in the Wilderness.   The idea is to share one of your neglected bookshelves or perhaps a new pile of books. 
This shelf holds most of my Eva Ibbotson collection, a Viennese-born author (1925-2010) who spent most of her life in England.  I don’t recall if my mother or I first found Ibbotson but we became fans in the 80s after her first two books were published, A Countess Below Stairs and Magic Flutes.  Her seven adult novels are charming, light historical novels with romantic elements about resolute heroines with an oversized sense of responsibility for others, no matter how dire their own straits.  Ibbotson’s books display a sensitivity toward refugees and displaced people that likely resulted from her own experience.  They are real comfort books!

A Company of Swans, which begins in 1912, is about talented Harriet Morton who lives in Cambridge and longs for adventure but is restricted by Edwardian society and her controlling father and aunt.  Her only pleasure is ballet and when her family tries to push her into an unwelcome marriage, she runs away with a ballet troupe, ending up in the Amazon.  The book has humor and romance, but also reveals how dangerous life was for women when their male relatives did not have their best interests at heart (even the hero jumps to conclusions too quickly and with disastrous results).   The book is dedicated to fellow writer Patricia Veryan but I don’t know if she and Eva were actually acquainted, as Veryan moved permanently to the US after World War II.  They both write with wit and tenderness but I think Ibbotson is far more skilled and memorable.  Stay tuned and maybe I’ll share my Veryan shelves soon.
Several of Ibbotson’s books were repackaged for a YA market but I thought the new covers looked anachronistic and less attractive than the original paperback editions above (which live on a higher shelf).  She also wrote several actual young adult books, which are outstanding – I think The Star of Kazan might be a good choice for my niece’s book group – and some children’s books, including The Secret of Platform 13 (1994), which begins at King’s Cross where there is a secret door under Platform 13 that leads to a magical island.  Those who thought it resembled J.K. Rowling’s books didn’t seem to realize Ibbotson was there first!  Ibbotson was gracious about the similarity and, fortunately, the popularity of Harry Potter led to increased sales for Ibbotson’s juvenile fantasies.  I sent her a fan letter at some point in the 90s with an article I had written for RT Magazine and received a lovely response.  
My only excuse is that the conference room
isn't there anymore!
Also on this shelf are a very attractive edition of The Elements of Style that I picked up somewhere; one of talented Tracy Grant’s best historical novels, Daughter of the Game (2002) (retitled Secrets of a Lady when published in paperback); and The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James (1931).  Montague Rhodes James was a Provost at Cambridge University, and considered one of the best ghost story writers of the 20th century, admired by Stephen King and others.  His stories are quirky and dark, and were polished to perfection so he could read them aloud to his literary friends.  This book was recommended to me by my junior high librarian who also gave me Katherine by Anya Seton, Murder in a Nunnery by Eric Shepherd, and Miracle at Carville, about a girl with leprosy! She was a nun of wide interests and I was willing to read nearly anything.
At the right on the shelf, you can see the facsimile of the famous pitcher given by Tacy Kelly to Betsy Ray on her fifth birthday.  These were given to attendees at a Betsy-Tacy convention.

My final paper for my summer school course is due Sunday (Intellectual Freedom in School Libraries) and I am taking next week off!  Hooray!

11 comments:

Katrina said...

Thanks, I've never read anything by Eva Ibbotson but I'll certainly look out for her books, I think I would enjoy them.

Judith said...

I'm found your bookshelf fascinating. So many authors I don't know--so many intriguing titles. The Ibbotson books intrigue me, so I'll shuffle about and see what I can find!

TracyK said...

Lots here to comment on. I looked into Tracy Grant's series and it sounded interesting but very confusing. Would not even know where to start.

My husband likes M.R. James short stories a lot. I don't go for ghost stories.

I have heard of Eva Ibbotson but have not read anything she wrote. I will have to look for one of the adult novels to try.

I am very intrigued by Murder in a Nunnery by Eric Shepherd. I actually had read about that one before but had forgotten about it. I definitely will get a copy ... I just have to decide which edition and how much to pay.

Cath said...

Elaine at Random Jottings of a Book and Opera Lover did a recent vlog post about Eva Ibbotson's books, I don't know if you saw it but it was very interesting.

I'm a huge M.R. James fan, have several books of his stories and have read them all. And Katherine by Anya Seton is one of my all-time favourite books. I read it during the heatwave summer of 1976 when I was expecting my second daughter. It transported me to another time and place and I absolutely adored it.

CLM said...

TracyK, I asked TracyG who I met once at a Dorothy Dunnett gathering, I think, about her recommended reading order and she suggests starting with a novella, His Spanish Bride, or Vienna Waltz for a full novel and read the Rannoch books in order. She says to feel free to message or email her for more (with your TBD, I am sure that is plenty). She is definitely a kindred spirit and is also a big supporter of the opera in San Francisco. I have read out of order and can't recall if they all have an espionage aspect.

Eva Ibbotson is a rare example of someone who mastered multiple genres. Her books for very young children are a bit slapstick for me but work for that age group. Cath, I will have to find that vlog post on Ibbotson. People have different favorites: sometimes Magic Flutes is my favorite and sometimes A Countess Below Stairs, which makes me wonder if her mother held open house to refugee friends). Her books are very sentimental which not everyone likes, but as I said, great comfort reading.

I am not normally a short story fan or a ghost story fan but as I recall M.R. James is worth the trouble. I found the paperback long after I had read the stories.

Murder in a Nunnery deserves its own post. I will say that I overpaid for the sequel in pb and recently saw a nice hardcover with dj for a very reasonable price and was proud of myself for resisting (but maybe you should get it, Tracy! Or you could use ILL). With fall tuition due in a couple weeks and my company having decided to eliminate partial tuition reimbursement, I am trying to be frugal. As I said to someone recently, Sister Sessions, my jr. high librarian, said it was a favorite among her reading colleagues because it didn't make fun of nuns for cheap laughs.

Cath, I can rarely do a top ten list of books without Katherine. It made such an impact on me when I first read it. Not long after, I was doing a report in school on the Plague and I over-enthusiastically read an excerpt from the book and showered pepper around the room to give my 9th-grade classmates a sense of contagion. Everyone started screaming and covering their eyes and I got yelled at by the teacher. No appreciation of creativity! Nowadays they would probably think it was anthrax and expel me.

Cath said...

Here's the link to Elaine's vlog post, Constance.

https://randomjottings.typepad.com/random_jottings_of_an_ope/2020/07/random-video-i-talk-about-eva-ibbotson.html

Enjoyed your pepper story. LOL!

TracyK said...

Constance, thanks for the help on reading order on Tracy Grant's series. I will get a copy of Vienna Waltz. That should be a good start. I also checked at Goodreads and her blog and saw her suggestions and will keep those in mind.

For Murder in a Nunnery, I decided to get a decent but not too expensive copy of the Dell paperback edition... because I collect old paperbacks and I liked the cover. I will pursue the sequel after I read the first one.

Lory said...

I've enjoyed lots of Ibbotson's books too but alas don't own any. You make me want to check if I can get e-copies from the library. Perfect summer relaxation reading.

CLM said...

Lory, you are likely to get to Vienna now that you are living so close, so I would urge you to reread A Glove Shop in Vienna or Magic Flutes, also set in Austria. It is allegedly available as an e-audiobook. Do you still have access to your US library's ebooks?

Lory said...

Splendid suggestion! Yes, I do have access to a US e-library and they have a good number of Ibbotson titles, including Magic Flutes.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Love the trinkets and other collections. The pitcher is adorable!