Saturday, June 11, 2022

Spell the Month in Books – June

Can you #SpelltheMonthinBooks? What books would you use?
Spell the Month in Books is hosted by Reviews From the Stacks and occurs on the second Saturday of each month.
J    Jane Austen in Boca by Paula Marantz Cohen (2000)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a nice Jewish widower must be in want of a wife.

Cohen takes the premise of Pride and Prejudice and sets it in a Jewish retirement community in Boca Raton, Florida. I am often critical of the many Austen wannabes but I found this quite amusing and have been meaning to read more by this author.
U    Undertow by Susanna Kearsley (1993)

When crime novelist Laura Callaghan agrees to look after her sister's remote beach house in Nova Scotia, she finds her own mystery, also two men to be potential love interests. This is a very early Kearsley, now out of print, and another diehard fan hunted it down 20 years ago and made me a photocopy.
N    Northern Lights by Nora Roberts (2004)

Nate Burke accepted the job as Chief of Police in a tiny, remote Alaskan town because he was hoping to get away from big-city crime. Then he and pilot Meg Galloway get involved in an unsolved murder with a very real killer. I can’t imagine wanting to live somewhere as cold and isolated as Alaska but Nora almost convinces the reader of its charm. . .
E    Embers by Sándor Márai (1942)

Over dinner, two elderly Hungarian adversaries who have not seen each other for 41 years rehash their friendship and their rivalry over the host’s beautiful, long-dead wife. This was a book group choice several years ago that I liked but found very melancholy.  Márai was born in 1900 in Košice, then part of Hungary, where my brother once taught, and was a contemporary of my grandfather's.  These two Hungarians moved in very different circles, although both wound up in the United States.  I would buy this for my brother but the only fiction he likes is Flannery O'Connor.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I only discovered this sometime last year and absolutely love the challenge. My Spell the Month in Books.