Saturday, March 11, 2023

Spell the Month in Books – March

Spell the Month in Books is the brainchild of Reviews From the Stacks and occurs on the second Saturday of each month. This month I chose from books I read in 2022:
M - Midnight in Everwood by M.A. Kuzniar (2021). Marietta is determined to be a professional ballerina but her parents insist it is time for her to give up dancing and take her proper place in Edwardian society in this retelling of the Nutcracker. My review.
A - All Her Little Secrets by Wanda M. Morris (2021). A black corporate lawyer is the obvious suspect when her married, white lawyer is found dead in his office. The only way to protect herself is to find the real killer – if she can do so before he comes after her. My review.

R Reunion by Kayla Olson (2023). A TV show not unlike Gilmore Girls is filming a reunion show, and its two attractive co-stars Liv and Ransom, determined in the past not to ruin their friendship with romance, find the chemistry between them is stronger than ever.
C The Cuckoo in Spring by Elizabeth Cadell (1954). Julian found Alexandra, which was miraculous but now takes her somewhat for granted.  So although she thinks he loves her, she disappears, testing his commitment and understanding of her as he searches for her. My review.
H - Hello, Transcriber by Hannah Morrissey (2021). This is a very noir novel about aspiring writer Hazel, who gets a job as a police transcriber and (although married) becomes dangerously obsessed with the detective investigating a suspicious death.  The concept is clever but the heroine unlikable, along with lots of self-destructive behavior.

Can you #SpelltheMonthinBooks? What books would you use?

4 comments:

Jonathan Blake said...

Greetings; I discovered your blog by following some link or other about 3 weeks ago, read a lot of your older posts and have visited every 2 or 3 days ever since. I like this idea, so here is my Spell the Month list.

David Williams - Murder for Treasure
Elizabeth Cadell - Alice, Where Art Thou?
Basil Thomson - Richardson Scores Again
Molly Thynne - The Crime at The Noah's Ark
Angela Thirkell - High Rising

all read this year so far bar the Richardson title which I read in December. Some of them were second time around too. All were read on the Kindle and bought from Amazon or downloaded from Faded Page.

Best wishes, Jon Blake (jblk50@gmail.com)

CLM said...

Thank you for reading, Jonathan! The only one of those I have read is High Rising but I am in the middle of a Cadell. Alice Where Art Thou? is on my mental list and perhaps I can coax my library to purchase it. Murder for Treasure sounds appealing. I did try a Molly Thynne without success but I don't recall which one.

TracyK said...

All those books sound interesting. Amazon keeps wanting to sell me books by Elizabeth Cadell, and The Cuckoo in Spring sounds good, but I am not sure I want to read that kind of romance.

I may try this in April, when again there will only be 5 letters.

CLM said...

Tracy, if you were going to pick one Cadell, I think I would recommend The Lark Shall Sing although it does not have any mystery elements, as some of her books do. It's about a large eccentric family and is very amusing. But perhaps you will find one at a library book sale!