Monday, February 7, 2022

Midnight in Everwood by M. A. Kuzniar

Title: Midnight in Everwood
Author: M.A. Kuzniar
Publication: HarperCollins, 2022, hardcover
Genre: Historical fiction/fantasy
Setting: Nottingham, England 1906
Description: Marietta Stelle longs to be a ballerina but as Christmas draws nearer, her dancing days are numbered because her father has decreed that she must give up ballet when she turns 21. Her parents already forced her brother to give up his dreams of being an artist to study law, and now they insist that she marry and take up her place in society in the New Year.  The Nottingham elite is fascinated when a mysterious toymaker, Dr. Drosselmeier, purchases an expensive townhouse. While Marietta is not convinced she even likes Drosselmeier, his arrival brings magic and wonder to her life.

When he constructs an elaborate theatrical set for her final ballet performance, Marietta discovers it carries a dark enchantment all of its own. As the clock chimes midnight, Marietta finds herself walking through a land of snow-topped fir trees leading to a frozen sugar palace silent with secrets, where she must avoid enchantment if she wants to see her home again.

My Impression: What a delightful concept for a story! Fairy tale retellings can be very appealing and the Nutcracker has legions of fans. Marietta recognizes the dangers that face her, not only from unwanted suitors or persistent magicians (sometimes one and the same) but also she sees how unhappy her brother is, having been forced to give up his art and hide his sexuality. If she does not conform, she risks being rejected by her parents but if she fails to break free, she will live as false a life as her brother. Small wonder Marietta has a perpetually peevish demeanor despite a wardrobe of beautifully described clothes, delicious sounding food, and no responsibilities. Admittedly, her parents are not interested in her feelings and care only about their status and finding her an eligible match, but she is not the most likable heroine.
In some ways, the book seemed more targeted to a teenage audience. I was reminded of Eva Ibbotson’s beloved adult romances which were repackaged as YA, and I suspect that is the vibe the author sought. I have not read any of her other books so I don’t know what her usual writing style is but here she affects an overly ornate style where if one word would do, she will use several:
In a rare spell of fortune, when Marietta entered the dining room for Christmas Eve dinner, she managed to source a seat beside Frederick. Having no family to speak of, Drosselmeier had been invited to join them and sat opposite. Marietta felt him watching her, his frosted eyes sinking ever deeper into her skin. A gaze with hooks and shadows.

And all the while Drosselmeier watched Marietta. She started concealing her joy, burrowing it that place where her life was tethered, its only witness the blood roaring through her veins, the wind-rush of her breathing. When she was a girl, Christmas Eve had been her favorite day of the entire year. The traditions of feasting and exchanging gifts beside the Christmas Tree filled her with sparkling delight. Marietta clenched her spoon and smiled brighter, suddenly determined not to allow Drosselmeier to dull her delight.
Well, I did not allow this flowery style to dull my appreciation of the concept but I think a skillful editor might have been able to dissuade Kuzniar from some of her excesses while retaining the appeal of the story. The book also made me hungry: in addition to descriptions of feasts, in keeping with the Sugar Plum Fairy theme, there were a lot of references to sugar and candy. My sweet tooth got a vicarious workout!

Purchase Links: HarperCollins * Bookshop.org * Barnes & Noble * Book Depository * Amazon
This is my fifth book of the year for the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge hosted by the Intrepid Reader.

Source: Advanced Reading Copy provided by the publisher and TLC Book Tours

6 comments:

Helen said...

I agree that this feels more like a book for teenagers than adults. I loved the idea of a Nutcracker retelling, but the flowery writing and all those descriptions of sugary foods were overwhelming!

CLM said...

I thought it was interesting that Marietta's brother surprised her by being accepting of his fate - but that completely ignored the fact that his partner was going to marry a young woman yet continue his relationship with Frederick, which is wrong ethically regardless of the genders involved. If one of the messages of the book is staying true to oneself (which may require breaking away altogether) vs. compromise vs. perhaps conforming completely, it ignores the fact that one person's compromise could be another's betrayal!

I am glad you had some of the same reactions I did, Helen!

Cassie said...

I am intrigued, this is a book I may have to check out.

TracyK said...

I like the premise, but I agree that it sounds more like it is aimed at teenagers. That is not a bad thing in itself, but also too much of a romance for me. Probably would depend on my mood at the time.

Susan said...

I'm actually interested in this one. I love the Nutcracker, so I just might have to check this one out.

Sara Strand said...

I can't wait to start this one myself! Thank you for being on this tour. Sara @ TLC Book Tours