Wednesday, April 26, 2023

WWW Wednesday – April 26, 2023

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.

Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?


Currently Reading
I just started Fallen by Linda Castillo, the 13th book in her Kate Burkholder series. Formerly Amish, Kate had just returned to her hometown to become Chief of Police of Painters Mills, Ohio in book 1, and has dealt with a variety of crimes since. When a young woman, who left the Amish community like Kate, is murdered in a local hotel, Kate must discover who wanted to silence Rachel, whom she remembers well as an outspoken child.

I am also reading The Loving Spirit by Daphne du Maurier in preparation for Daphne du Maurier Reading Week, hosted by Heaven-Ali next month. Having just visited this part of Cornwall, I can easily envision the dangerous sea.

Recently Finished
The de Grummond Book Group just finished Too Bright to See by Kyle Lukoff, an unusual book that combines coming-of-age and ghost story. Initially, it reminded me of Katie John and Heathcliff in that the protagonist feels alienated by the clothes and makeup-loving peers eagerly anticipating middle school. Bug has always thought the house she lived in was haunted but after her beloved uncle dies she becomes convinced there is a message for her somewhere. Was anyone else hoping she would find something valuable so her single mother can worry less about finances? Instead, Bug comes to realize that she is transgender. Bug seems unrealistically fortunate in that her mother, school, and friends are accepting, but the story is beautifully done and makes one wish anyone going through this transition had such support. I am sorry I missed the Zoom discussion.

Next Up

I am in Minnesota this week for a conference which will involve some good airplane reading time. I plan to read a new adult thriller by Caroline Cooney (best known for The Face on the Milk Carton) called The Wrong Good Deed. I enjoyed her previous adult mystery, Before She Was Helen (my review).
I am also reading Of Manners and Murder, a Dear Miss Hermione mystery by Anastasia Hastings. This is a historical mystery set in the late 19th century in England. Usually, one can trust the Minotaur imprint, but I am a bit concerned that the heroine is jaunting too freely around the country so hope it is not too anachronistic.

There is a bookstore a hundred yards from the hotel called SubText – you know my luggage will be heavier going home if it is open between the conference and the group dinner tonight.  

The St. Paul Library, an impressive building, is on the other side of the hotel, so I am indeed well situated (although I could not find a candy bar when I needed one Monday night - note to self, do not travel without emergency M&Ms).  

4 comments:

Helen said...

I enjoyed The Loving Spirit. Du Maurier's novels always have such a great sense of place! I'm re-reading The Scapegoat for the Reading Week - one of my favourites.

carol said...

I've read a few of the Kate Burkholder mysteries and never quite like them as much as I think I should.
I hope you get some time to visit the bookstore.

Cath said...

I'll be interested in what you think of The Loving Spirit. It's not a DdM book I know anything about.

Have a great trip even though it's for work. Always fancied a trip to Minnesota.

CLM said...

The Scapegoat is great, and while I hated the ending part of me found it very fitting. I got my book group to read it several years ago and people really enjoyed although a few could not generate the suspension of disbelief one needs for an impersonation novel.

I did like The Loving Spirit but found Joseph a bit over the top. I did enjoy imagining the town of Fowey where Cath and I walked around in July.

Carol, I guess those Kate Burkholder mysteries are an acquired taste. I am bored by Amish romances, which I am sometimes sent to review by Publishers Weekly, but murder is more entertaining, clearly!