Thursday, May 4, 2023

Six-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore

Title: Six-Dinner Sid
Author/Illustrator: Inga Moore
Publication: Simon and Schuster, hardcover, 1991
Genre: Picture Book
Setting: Great Britain
Description: Sid is a black cat who lives on Aristotle Street. He lives at number one, two, three, four, five, and six Aristotle, cleverly moving from house to house just in time for a different dinner at each one. Because the neighbors don’t know each other, no one is aware of Sid’s strategic wanderings. Sid answers to a different name and assumes a different personality, singing, so to speak, for his summer at each home. But when Sid develops a bad cough, his conscientious caregivers take him to the vet six separate times and the vet figures it out and tells all the residents of Aristotle Street, who decide he will only get one dinner per night. So Sid enjoys eating well, so he moves to Pythagoras Place and goes to live at numbers one, two, three, four, five, and six. These residents were friendly with their neighbors so they realized what Sid was up to, but they didn’t mind.
My Impression: Recently, I read Blitzcat by Robert Westall, which is about an intrepid cat searching for his person during WWII, and I asked what are other people’s favorite books featuring cats. This was mentioned by so many people that I was intrigued and requested it from the library, and it made me laugh. I like this greedy cat but what makes it so amusing is that the people on Aristotle Street are not bad people, they simply don’t know their neighbors. They care enough about Sid (or whatever name they call him) to take him to the vet which is how his duplicity is revealed to the inhabitants of Aristotle Street. In a different book, shared ownership of Sid might result in newfound camaraderie and block parties. Instead, these owners take steps to reduce Sid’s multiple dinners! Sid isn’t going to put up with that so he simply leaves and finds a more hospitable street to mooch from. In addition, the illustrations are charming.  I see there is a sequel, Six-Dinner Sid: A Highland Adventure, in which Sid’s new owners on Pythagoras Place all go on vacation at the same time, and I will have to read it sometime.

What is your favorite cat story? Lory at Entering the Enchanted Castle is talking about doing a Cat Fiction Challenge (at least, I thought she was but now I can’t find her post), which would be fun, although I don't even own a cat!
Source: Library.  Six-Dinner Sid is available in paperback and would make a good gift for someone picture-book age.


Illustrations copyrighted to the publisher.

4 comments:

Cath said...

I recognise Inga Moore's name as someone who illustated a version of The Wind in the Willows. I don't own a copy of that version but see pics from it on Twitter quite often. Absolutely stunning. I'm struggling to think of a favourite cat book even though I like cats. How silly. Oh... The Mousehole Cat! And there's a series of crime yarns starting The Cat Who... isn't there? By Lilian Jackson Braun. I haven't read any though.

TracyK said...

That looks like a lovely cat book. I will check our independent bookseller and see if they have a copy. And check out other books that Inga Moore has illustrated.

Marianne said...

This is one of the cutest cat books I read with my kids when they were little. Absolutely loved it. Will have to write a review myself.

Thanks for reminding me.

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

How can one look at that cover and title and not immediately want to pick it up?! It's just one of those perfect coffee table books too. I haven't read much (or any) cat fiction, but I've heard good things about For He Can Creep by Siobhan Carroll - have you read that one?