Saturday, May 13, 2023

Spell the Month in Books – May

Spell the Month in Books is hosted by Reviews From the Stacks and occurs on the second Saturday of each month.  I chose three fairly recent reads this month:
M    The Musgraves by D.E. Stevenson (1960). This is one of the books recently brought back into print by Furrowed Middlebrow and Dean Street Press. The Musgraves consist of three sisters and their widowed mother, living in the Cotswolds and entertaining themselves with village theatricals, love affairs, and plenty of gossip.
A     A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham (2022). Twenty years after Chloe Davis’ father was convicted of being a serial killer, devastating his family. Now, just as Chloe has married and tried to rebuild her life, young women are disappearing again and the painful media attention has resumed. Richard Davis is in prison so are these copycat crimes or could he have had an accomplice?  Someone who is dangerously close to Chloe now?
Y     You’ll Never Know Dear by Hallie Ephron (2017). Forty years ago, Lissie and Janey were children playing with their dolls when Lissie got distracted by a puppy. When she returned, Janey was gone and has never been found. Now Janey’s doll has been returned and the family wonders if it will finally find out what happened to her, although it may be much more dangerous than they realize.
Did you #SpelltheMonthinBooks? Have you read any of these? You have to admit that Y is tricky.  

5 comments:

Marianne said...

May was really hard, even though it has the fewest letters. Well done.
My Spell the Month in Books.

TracyK said...

I really need to read something by D. E. Stevenson. I have six of her books in eBook format but I forget about them since they are not on my shelves or even cataloged.

CLM said...

Tracy, if you tell me which ones you have, I will suggest where to start. That would have been a good thing to read while waiting for your husband to finish jury duty.

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

Totally agree that Y is difficult! (Though at least, MAY has only three letters to pursue) I cannot think of anything title-prone with Y - maybe, Yuletide? :D

Judith said...

I know it's been so (ridiculously) long since I submitted a blog post!
Lots has been going on.
But I'm wondering if you are interested in participating in The Twenty Books of Summer.
I'm participating, and because I had so much fun last year, largely because of all the other participants, I'm wondering if you'd be interested.
Would be fun!
I'm so glad that Katrina of Pining for the West encouraged me to do it last year. I really, really enjoyed it.
This year I doubt I'll be able to consume 20 books, but I'm going to try like the dickens to do as much as possible. (I've gone back to work, happily by the way.) For details see my blog post.
Best wishes!