Thursday, June 29, 2023

O Canada 2023

The Shaw Festival is a theater festival located in Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL), Ontario, Canada, and is the second-largest repertory theatre company* in North America. It was founded in 1962 and Queen Elizabeth came in 1973 in honor of its first theater opening at the current location, staying at the charming Prince of Wales Hotel on the corner of King and Queen Streets.
The Prince of Wales Hotel, yards from our temporary home
Originally, it only featured productions written by George Bernard Shaw, but the repertoire expanded in the 1980s to appeal more widely. I had always wanted to visit and my sister Andrea agreed to go this month and did all the organizing. We persuaded her fifteen-year-old and our mother to join us.
George Bernard Shaw himself
Andrea found a charming house on one of the main streets (with a woodchuck in the backyard; shouldn’t it have been a beaver?) and bought tickets to one play and one musical, Blithe Spirit and Gypsy. I won’t bore you with the details of our miserable trip from Boston to Toronto; suffice it to say that Andrea and Katherine had to wait hours for us although we had planned to arrive together. However, by about 7 we reached our temporary home and found a restaurant for dinner, Bistro Six One. Because we had read that NOTL boasted some good local wineries we asked the waiter for recommendations: Andrea tried a Pinot Grigio, I a Chardonnay, and, as a joke, Katherine asked for a Riesling, which the waiter dutifully brought her with the lemonade she had also requested! Perhaps this rising sophomore looks older than we had realized!
Katherine at Queen's Royal Park
The town is not large but is quite delightful, with many restaurants and shops, flowers everywhere, and such polite drivers one could cross any street without looking for traffic (not that we did – we are from Boston). Once we had parked, everything was just a few blocks away. In the morning, Andrea brought back breakfast pastries, and then we strolled about, admiring the houses and gardens and Lake Ontario. We visited the extremely picturesque Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club located on grounds involved in the War of 1812 (it was odd to read historical plaques where we were the enemy). From Queen’s Royal Park, a few blocks south, we could see Fort Niagara on the shores of New York State across the water.
Queen Street (photo credit DreamPlanExperience.com)
After lunch at the Epicurean and a little shopping (the bookstore was unimpressive but I did manage to find a book in a Little Library on Front Street), we headed down Picton Street to the main festival theatre for some Noel Coward. The production was good and our balcony seats were excellent, and while I did not find Blithe Spirit quite as amusing as expected, it was still very enjoyable. Afterward, my mother and I attended Mass across the street at St. Vincent de Paul before joining Andrea and Katherine for dinner at 11th Post on Queen Street before returning to the theatre for Gypsy, a musical none of us had ever seen. It was meant to be the piece de resistance of the entire season, planned before the pandemic, and the vaudeville setting reminded me of stories told by my friend George Greller, whose parents were actual performers of that era. I did not know the story and was surprised to recognize two songs, “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” and “Together.” Our seats were in the front row of the very steep balcony. The cast was very good: I was impressed by Kate Hennig playing Mama Rose, Andrea liked Julie Lumsden playing Louise, and Katherine liked our usher, Liam, who was on duty for both shows!
CLM and APM, Fort Niagara in background
This was our second trip to Canada together; what's next - the Calgary Stampede?

* The largest is the Stratford Festival, also in Ontario.

6 comments:

Simon T - StuckinaBook said...

What a wonderful trip! I am heading to Toronto (and Vancouver) in September and really looking forward to it. And Gypsy is such a powerhouse musical! I was lucky to see Imelda Staunton in it a few years ago.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Glad to hear you had a good visit! I've not been to the Shaw Festival but that's a lovely part of Ontario, especially in good weather. As for your next trip to Canada, Stampede is definitely a fun experience and pairs nicely with a tour of the Rockies! Or you could come all the way out to the coast and see beautiful Vancouver (but I'm more than a little biased).

Cath said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip, Constance!

CLM said...

That will be a fun trip, Simon. I may send you some suggestions for the Toronto part when I finish my narrative. Unfortunately, books seem much more expensive in Canada than in the US. That did not stop me from spending a delightful hour in a bookstore, of course, but I only bought one book.

Claire, we were lucky - there was a lot of rain but nearly always while we were inside. I did lose a good umbrella but that was my own fault, of course.

Cath, I can't believe a whole year has passed since our trip! I wish we could do it again.

TracyK said...

That sounds like such a lovely trip, after you arrived in Ontario. And lovely photos.

JaneGS said...

What a fun trip this sounds like. Thanks for the details and the photos. Putting this on my list of places/events I would like to go to.