Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Close by Jane Casey: A Maeve Kerrigan Mystery

Title: The Close: A Maeve Kerrigan Mystery
Author: Jane Casey
Publication: HarperCollins, trade paperback, 2023
Genre: Suspense
Setting: Great Britain
Description: Detective Sergeant Maeve Kerrigan is in the midst of investigating the mysterious death of a London surgeon, discovered in the parking lot of his hospital in his own car, when she is asked to go undercover on a different case. The brother-in-law of a politically connected woman (now demanding an investigation) died after spending time in a picturesque block of suburban homes called Jellicoe Close, and several other vulnerable adults have disappeared after staying there. The inscrutable DCI Una Burt decides to send Maeve and her colleague Derwent to stay in a house in the Close, posing as a couple, to investigate the residents as discreetly as possible. 

Derwent is worried about Maeve's recent apathy and persuades her that she needs a break to get her groove back. Maeve notices a lot of odd behavior among these neighbors and becomes more and more convinced there is a killer on the street but who is it? And can she, especially vulnerable in recent months since being the victim of domestic abuse, stay immune to Josh while isolated together for a prolonged period of time? And why does he not realize that leaving her alone even for a few hours means someone will almost certainly attack her?

My Impression: Jane, I think you’re playing with your readers in this book; I felt as if I were reliving the final season of Moonlighting, not that I didn’t enjoy it exceedingly! Those of us who were devoted to Maeve’s former boyfriend Rob and creeped out by her recent boyfriend Seth have been deeply suspicious of her obnoxious yet appealing colleague and current boss, Josh Derwent. Their relationship is very complicated and we all know they should not get involved; nor is it at all appropriate for them to be sent undercover together. However, he has unmistakable charisma and it is hard to see how anyone could resist him, even if he does say so himself. So despite two serious crimes being investigated more or less simultaneously, the reader is preoccupied with the more serious issue of how their relationship will evolve.

It is also amusing to see how easily Maeve and Derwent charm their new neighbors. She is effortlessly attractive and somehow manages to befriend most of the women as well as (obviously) the men and Derwent’s football skill wins him some admirers.
“Oh good,” I said, and waved at Derwent. He was walking back with his hands on his hips, his hair dark with sweat and the lurid football shirt sticking to his body. When he saw me he looked surprised and then a smile flashed across his face.

“Oh, that’s sweet,” Judy said. “Didn’t he know you were coming?”

“I wasn’t sure I’d be able to make it.”

“He’ll be glad you saw him score a goal. That player on the other side isn’t letting him get away with anything,” Alan said, furious, as if that wasn’t the whole point.
I love this series. You may recall my letter to the Boston Globe urging mystery fans to start reading Casey. It really makes sense to start with the first book, The Burning. Also, don’t think I’ve forgotten there is a cybercriminal still out there from several books ago obsessing over Maeve (she has had other things to worry about and worries less about her personal safety than I do for her).
Boston Globe 12/20
Source: Copy purchased for my sister’s birthday. This is my seventeenth book for Carol’s Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge.
This was in my final order from Book Depository before it closed down in April.  It would be nice if St. Martin's/Minotaur would start publishing Casey's books at the same time as her UK publisher now that free shipping is over.

2 comments:

JaneGS said...

Sold. Not that I need a new mystery series, but since I loved Moonlighting and I love mystery series, I can find room in my heart and on my shelves for another great series. I will take your advice and begin at the beginning. Thanks for a great review.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I discovered the series only last year so this was the first new release I had to count down the days for. Luckily, in Canada it came out in March and I gobbled it up immediately. With the demise of Book Depository, maybe look north if US publication is delayed?