Sunday, November 19, 2023

The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart

Title: The Moon-Spinners
Author: Mary Stewart
Publication: William Morrow, hardcover, 1962
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Setting: 20th century Crete
Description: Nicola Ferris has been working as a secretary at the British Embassy in Athens, working on her Greek and trying to explore the country whenever possible. She has planned a trip to Crete to meet up with her cousin Frances and gets a ride part of the way and arrives a day early, needing to walk across country to the town of Agios Georgios. On the way, she falls into adventure, when she encounters an Englishman, Mark, who has been badly wounded, and his Greek guide, Lambis. They are wary of her but eventually reveal they were attacked by strangers and they tell Nicola it is too dangerous to be around them, to begin her Easter holiday and forget she met them. While she recognizes this is sensible advice, she is a bit miffed but heads to the town where her cousin should be arriving from a cruise with friends. But Agios Georgios is not going to provide the simple peace she promised Frances, although there is abundant beautiful countryside . . .

My Impression: One of the appealing things about Mary Stewart’s books is the feeling the adventures she describes could happen to anyone, including the reader. Her heroines are everywoman, if perhaps a bit braver or more curious than the average bear. Nicola is a prime example of this character: she is an orphan, so self-reliant, and took a job in Greece to fulfill her wanderlust. Her cousin Frances is on a cruise with friends and they have planned to meet in a small coastal village in Crete to relax, explore, and enjoy the flora and fauna, as Frances is a botanist. However, as Nicola approaches the path that leads to Agios Georgios, she is distracted:
It was the egret, flying out of the lemon grove, that started it. I won’t pretend I saw it straight away as the conventional herald of adventure, the white stag of the fairytale, which, bounding from the enchanted thicket, entices the prince away from his followers, and loses him in the forest where danger threatens with the dusk. But, when the big white bird flew suddenly up among the glossy leaves and the lemon flowers, I followed it.
Stewart’s descriptions of the natural world are frequent and add dimension to her work but I also love these Robert Frost decision-making moments. In My Brother Michael, the heroine is writing a postcard, “Nothing ever happens to me,” a moment before everything starts happening (I have tried this without encountering adventure at all, alas).
When intrepid Nicola encounters two men in trouble she doesn’t hesitate to help, although it means spending the night with a complete stranger (wounded but attractive). She is a bit miffed to be told the next day to run along and forget she ever met them when she feels wholeheartedly involved but they are trying to protect her from the unknown danger they unintentionally have brought on themselves (and yes, they are somewhat sexist but it’s 1962). Fortunately, this is not the end of Nicola’s involvement. Her explorations in the village are entertaining and sometimes frightening, while Cousin Frances serves as confidante and maintains a calm demeanor as Nicola worries.  

There is a movie starring Hayley Mills that apparently bears little resemblance to the book although it is set in Crete and features an English heroine and a mysterious Englishman (although Mills had made The Parent Trap only three years earlier, she was barely 18 by the time The Moon-Spinners was released, which is a little younger than Nicola in the book).  My library system has a copy so I have put it on hold and will watch out of curiosity.  Don't worry, my expectations are low.
This was the first Stewart I read, so perhaps destined to become a favorite. We were having a family vacation in Bermuda when I was 11. Although we stayed at a nice hotel on the water, it was November and chilly, so we didn’t spend as much time on the beach as planned. On the day I remember, we went to Hamilton, which is the capital, and found a bookstore! That was the first time I encountered the Chalet School books by Elinor Brent-Dyer – there were dozens and it took me quite a while to figure out which ones to buy (book 1 and two others). We also bought Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper, The House in Cornwall by Noel Streatfeild (I have been looking for this but cannot find it), a book called Saturday and the Irish Aunt, and The Moon-Spinners. We also visited a library and I started reading Wintle’s Wonders, which my library at home did not own, even as Dancing Shoes, the American title insisted upon by Random House. I very reluctantly put it back on the shelf and begrudged the years it took to find a copy in the U.S.
Source: Personal copy. I read this for the 1962 Club in October but ran out of time to review it. It’s also my twenty-ninth book for Carol’s Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge.

Off the Blog: In honor of the 139th Harvard-Yale game, courtesy of Yale’s Beinecke Library, here is the menu from the lunch served to (presumably Yale) alumni in 1910 before the game, pre-tailgating.
Mock turtle consists of calf's head or beef; sherry, brandy, or wine; and seasonings. It became more popular in the US than real turtle soup, which was a symbol of wealth.

22 comments:

Jerri said...

Nice review of a Mary Stewart novel I have read and enjoyed a number of times.

I have seen the movie, and by forcing myself to separate it from any relationship with the novel, I did enjoy it, as an product of it's time. I hadn't looked up Haley Mills' age - I wonder why they had her play the roll as a child/teen rather than an adult young woman. I suppose Disney wanted to keep her as a "child star".

Sue in Suffolk said...

A blast from the past! I read all her books when I was working as a library assistant in the 1970's aged 16 -24. .

I wonder what I would think of them now aged 68!

CLM said...

Well, Rosemary's somewhat negative review last month made me decide I needed some distance before I reviewed it, especially as I usually appreciate her observations. She objected to the sexism and overabundance of scenery, as I recall. As Jerri says, however, it was a product of the time and judging it solely on that basis would deprive us of a delightful book with unique setting.

https://sconesandchaiseslongues.blogspot.com/2023/10/for-1962-club-moonspinners-by-mary.html

Admittedly, marketing it (on the cover) as a "Modern Classic" might be pushing it.

Jerri said...

Sue, I still read Mary Stewart at age 66, after first reading her books in my teens. I agree that by modern standards they seem sexist, but they aren't modern books. And by the standards of the time, I think that her heroines are usually pretty independent, not just waiting for some man/hero to rescue them. And not just cookie cutter, each main female protagonist is her own person with different strengths and weaknesses for each.

I think that the thing that jarred me most when I started re-reading a decade or so ago after a gap of some years was the amount of smoking that takes place. But again, during that time smoking was very common. And Mary Stewart does a great job of making the handling of the smoking advance the plot, the heroine can use it to delay replaying to questions without the delay seeming obvious, or wrong foot a bad guy by asking for a light, etc.

It is good that they are so very available now, in ebook, audiobook or "dead tree" format in most markets, I believe.

Jerri said...

I forgot to say, I LOVE the descriptions of scenery and various locations, one reason I read Stewart is to feel like I have traveled to Greece or Crete or France or England. The review that complained of too much description were giving their views, but I dislike some modern books that are set in interesting places but could be more or less anywhere since the descriptions are so limited and lifeless. The Moonspinners makes me feel like I have taken a walk in the Springtime mountains of Crete, I can almost smell the wildflowers and feel the sea water on my feet.

CLM said...

I agree that the smoking is much more jarring than any sexism (especially in Madam, Will You Talk). I never really understood the appeal of nonfiction travel books when I worked in publishing and had to present them to bookstore buyers each month; however, Stewart's descriptions always made me want to plan a trip there instantly. And now that I own copies of each book, I reread most of them fairly regularly, except The Gabriel Hounds, which was never a favorite.

Lory said...

I love the scenery in Mary Stewart's books! It does not in any way detract from the action for me, just makes it more vivid. I need to read this one again, since I've now actually been to Crete.

The shelf of non-sexist books from 1962 would probably be rather small.

Anonymous said...

AGREE!

Susan said...

What a wonderful bookstore to have found on a holiday! I too recall finding Wintle's Wonders in a library on a holiday on the South Coast of England as a child - I only had time to read half and it took me years and years to track down a copy to finish the story!
I love the setting of Mary Stewart's novels - particularly the Greek ones... and used Madam, will you talk? as a guidebook to Nimes when I was there (it led me to a lovely cafe in the town gardens which I'd never otherwise have thought to track down). Thanks for a lovely blog reminding me of all these pleasures

CLM said...

Oh, Susan, I did the same in Nimes!

Here is a link to my posts about Madam, Will You Talk: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/search/label/Madam%20Will%20You%20Talk

TracyK said...

I have several books by Mary Stewart that I have been planning to read. Possibly holding back because the print is so small on the paperbacks, although that is not a good excuse, since they are not very long.

CLM said...

Tracy, if you check which ones you have, I could help you decide which to read that would fit into your Wanderlust Bingo!

TracyK said...

Constance, these are the books I have:
The Ivy Tree, My Brother Michael, This Rough Magic, and Nine Coaches Waiting. I thought I had more but they are not in my catalog.

CLM said...

They are all good but This Rough Magic would be perfect for "Sea" and it's one of her best. My Brother Michael is set in Greece so I suppose that counts as "Central or Eastern Europe". The Ivy Tree is Northumberland, as I recall, which is where Stewart was from, and Nine Coaches Waiting (her first, I think) is France.

Fanda Classiclit said...

I happened to read Rosemary's review for #1962club, but, as I have said in this post, my guts telling me there're delightful things I might enjoy from this book. And your lovely review confirmed it. Thanks, Constance! :)

CLM said...

Rosemary made some good points and I always enjoy her reviews; I just feel that this book is pretty awesome!

I suppose I will eventually review all of Stewart's books. There are a handful I have reread so many times I can practically quote them but there are others I have only read once.

TracyK said...

Thanks for all that information on the Mary Stewart books. I will check into all of those and decide which will be the best fit for me.

JaneGS said...

This was my first Mary Stewart too, and so remains a favorite. I haven't read it in years but it has everything I love in a Stewart novel. I like your analysis of why her heroines always resonate with me--ordinary, run of the mill, but fulfilling the fantasy of rising to the challenge when stuff happens to them.

Katrina said...

I still haven't found my copy of this book which I hope to re-read soon. I really like her writing as I love descriptions of scenery, the adventure and tension involved in her books. Her main female characters are so likeable too, despite the smoking. Mary's writing career only took off after she moved to Scotland - so we 'bag' her as a Scot, well Durham is almost Scotland anyway!

thecuecard said...

Wow look at that old menu. Love it. My parents met on a blind date at the Yale/Harvard football game of 1956 (I think). Crazy but true. I have not read Mary Stewart -- but I remember how popular her books were. Thx for sharing.

CLM said...

Susan, that's very funny about your parents because mine met at Harvard in the fall of 1956. Also, I am planning a trip to Alberta soon. My nephew is spending a few months in Banff and I thought it would be fun to make a trip to the western provinces while he is there.

CLM said...

I was puzzled when the library sent a message saying The Moon-Spinners was in, given I own two copies, but it was the movie! Maybe I will have a chance to watch it this weekend. Stay tuned!