Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Trumpets in the West by Geoffrey Trease

Title: Trumpets in the West
Author: Geoffrey Trease
Illustrator: Joe Krush
Publication: Harcourt, Brace and Co., hardcover, 1947
Genre: Juvenile Historical Fiction
Setting: 17th century England
Description: In June 1685, the Duke of Monmouth, eldest illegitimate son of Charles II, landed at Lyme Regis in South West England where he had widespread popular support, planning to take control of the area and march on London to seize the throne from his uncle James II. The rebellion fails but not before young Jack Norwood and his irrepressible friend Jane Goodrich sneak out of their respective homes to see the battle. Jack is inspired to compose a march that captures the “drums and the trumpets and the guns, hopes, fears, triumph, and defeat.” Jack also rescues a rebel and helps him escape capture as Monmouth and his followers crushed. Jack’s new friend, also a musician, gives him an introduction to Henry Purcell in London. When Jack ultimately travels to London to make his fortune, he learns how hard it is to make a living at music as an organist. Purcell advises him to learn the newfangled violin and stay out of politics and Jack secures a position in a theater orchestra, poorly paid but enough to live on. However, much of the country is wary of the new king’s desire to reinstate Catholicism and spirited Jack is unable to stay safely out of trouble, even if it puts his musical dreams at risk. As time goes by, Jack – and his music – play an important role in the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
Jane joins the Morris Dancers, horrifying her parents
My Impression: Have you ever mentioned a book in passing, then decided you need to take it down from the shelf and found yourself starting that old favorite at the beginning? That is what happened on Saturday with my Six Degrees of Separation and soon I was standing in front of my Trease shelf, wondering why the books were not alphabetized or perhaps organized by pub date, and rereading this delightful book. It’s not just that Trease brings history to life but he makes even the bit players appealing. Jack and Jane are engaging characters, as is their friend Harry, who studies architecture with Christopher Wren, while Jane’s snobbish brother, who does not want her to remain friendly with their village acquaintances, also figures in the story.

The appeal of Trumpets in the West lies also in its portrayal of London’s musical scene as well as the political unrest of the time. An unexpected bonus is the amazing illustrations by Joe Krush. I am very familiar with his work with wife Beth (The Borrowers, All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown, Miracles on Maple Hill) which often has a comical aspect but do not recall seeing any of his solo work before, and I really enjoyed it.
Purcell and Blow mentor Jack
I got somewhat of a thrill at meeting Henry Purcell, who is depicted as kind but overworked and clearly suffering from consumption. How I wished I could provide some antibiotics and prevent his premature death at 36! Purcell introduces Jack to his teacher and friend, Dr. John Blow, a baroque composer who also taught Jeremiah Clarke, and Jack is impressed because he knows Blow’s anthems from being a choir boy at Wells Cathedral (I wish I’d remembered this when I visited Wells last year but I was thinking only of Elizabeth Goudge):
It was Dr. Blow who spoke first.

Henry has shown me your piece. It’s good. Very good. At first I wouldn’t believe it was the work of a boy.

“I assure you – ” Jack began indignantly.

The plump hand waved for silence. “I know it’s your own work. There’s something new in it. There are only half a dozen men in England who could have written this – ourselves, Jeremiah Clarke, two or three others. And we didn’t. It’s clear you did. You’re a musician, my boy. The question is, what’s to be done about it?”
Trease refers to Monmouth as the “gay young Duke” but Jack does not get close enough to see him, only to be inspired at a distance. He does meet William of Orange so one hopes his musical career will flourish under William and Mary’s reign! Anthony Lawton, Rosemary Sutcliff’s godson, points out the contrast between Monmouth’s inglorious and bloody revolution and William’s more glorious and bloodless one. In fairness, James II’s attacks on religious freedom in the intervening years helped set the stage for William and Mary, as well as awaken Jack’s political conscience. However, I can’t help preferring Montrose, based on rereads of Shattered Summer by Madeleine Polland.  
Source: Family copy.  This is my twenty-fifth book for the 2023 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge hosted by The Intrepid Reader.  Farah Mendlesohn is working on a book about Trease, which I am eager to read.  

Illustrations copyright to Harcourt, Brace & Co., now part of Houghton Mifflin.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

You have a whole shelf of Trease books! They are quite difficult to find, even here. I have only read Cue for Treason which I did enjoy. I must say that you have pointed me in the direction of so many good authors - thank you.

CLM said...

And vice versa, Katrina! I imagine if we were in a bookstore together (which I hope happens!), you and Jack and I would be eagerly pointing out books to each other and would emerge quite laden down!

Liz Dexter said...

I loved Trease when I was a kid and remember that style of illustration very well. Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

TracyK said...

I love the illustrations and I wish the books were easier to find.

Marg said...

I don't remember hearing of Trease before!

Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge. I hope you will be joining us again in 2024.