Tuesday, June 18, 2024

My May 2024 Reading

There is no doubt my two favorite books of the month were Going Zero, a thriller involving a chase I am still thinking about, and The Diamond Eye, about a Russian sniper during WWII. I suspect they will be on my "Best of 2024" list and I recommend both of them highly.  Overall, there were some very strong and some disappointing books with two good rereads, Lucy Parker's Act Like It and The Emerald City of Oz for Ozathon24.
Suspense/Mystery

Out of Nowhere by Sandra Brown (2023). A mass shooting at a county fair brings survivors together but the police are making no progress on finding the shooter, who may make another attempt. Other than Mirror Image, an impersonation story I read long ago when my then-roommate brought it home in manuscript form, I am not much of a Brown fan but I needed something to read on a slow night at the library and it had just been returned.
The Seagull by Ann Cleeves (2017)(audio). In Vera Stanhope’s eighth outing, she is pulled into a cold case involving close friends of her father’s and a long-closed nightclub that seems to be the connection between disappearances in the past and a murder in the present. This was excellent although there were several occasions when Vera should have asked for backup. I do get annoyed when law enforcement professionals act foolishly – at least with amateur detectives there is an excuse for acting impulsively.

Has Anyone Seen Charlotte Salter? by Nicci French (2024).
Charlotte disappeared on her way to her husband’s 50th birthday party in this standalone (so far) by the husband-wife team behind the Frieda Klein series. Her close friend died the next day and some assumed he had killed her and committed suicide. Thirty years later there is a possibly related murder and a detective from London is summoned to investigate, and I found this detective the best part of the book.
Into the Fire by Gregg Hurwitz (2020). I am a big fan of Orphan X and am sympathetic to his current desire to break with his violent past and live a normal life. However, a “last assignment” as the Nowhere Man turns more dangerous than he expected in book 5 and his inability to say no to those in need almost destroys him. There seem to be ten books in the series so I guess Evan is unable to escape his situation in the near future, poor guy.

Breaking Creed by Alex Cava (2014). I found this series launch about an ex-marine turned K9 rescue dog trainer who is targeted by a South American drug cartel somewhat disappointing. I liked the dogs but found the plot hard to follow and there were too many snakes and scorpions for my taste. It’s a spinoff from another series but felt like the reader was too thrown into the middle. My review.
Going Zero by Anthony McCarten (2023)(audio). Imagine you have two hours to get so completely off the grid that the CIA and its software partner cannot find you using advanced surveillance techniques. If you can stay hidden for 30 days, you will win $3 million. But Kaitlyn Day, a librarian from Boston, is determined to beat these experts at their game and has a reason more important than just money. My review.

How to Solve Your Own Murder by Kristen Perrin (2024). I liked the concept but felt the characters were unconvincing and the execution subpar in this mystery about a woman who spends her whole life frightened by a prediction of her own murder. When she is, in fact, murdered, it is up to the niece who never knew her to investigate and find the truth. My review.
Crossbones Yard by Kate Rhodes (2012). Alice Quentin is a psychologist who consults for the police and is dragged into a case involving serial killers. They are safely in jail but there is a suspected copycat killer she is asked to assess. When she concludes that individual is not dangerous, her brother becomes a suspect. My review.

Listen for the Lie by Amy Tintera (2024). After the terrible night when her friend Savannah was killed, Lucy was found covered with Savannah’s blood and was suspected of being the killer, although nothing was proven and Lucy claims amnesia. Now a podcaster is trying to investigate the crime and Lucy is drawn back to town. My review.
Historical Fiction

The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn (2022) (audio). Based on a true story about a Russian woman sniper during WWII, the story follows modest Mila Pavlichenko from the battlefields to the United States where she is feted by Eleanor Roosevelt at the White House. My review.
Miss Morgan’s Book Brigade by Janet Skeslien Charles (2024). An interesting if at times wooden story about a New York librarian recruited to provide children’s libraries to homeless French children during WWI.  My review.

Fiction

Get Lucky by Katherine Center (2010). While I was waiting for her new book to come from the library, I realized there was an older, unread book. If I had not known, I would have said this was written by Elinor Lipman. It’s about sisters – one of whom is desperate to get pregnant and have a child and the other has lost her job and offers to be a surrogate.
Romance

Act Like It by Lucy Parker (2015). After I put this in my Spell the Month in Books for May, I had to reread it. This is Parker’s first - and possibly best book (so far) – about an arrogant actor and the outgoing actress who softens him.  London setting.

Juvenile/YA

The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum. In this sixth Oz book, there are two distinct plotlines: one is the Nome King, still bitter from his defeat by Ozma and determined to conquer Oz and imprison its fair ruler, and two, Dorothy’s aunt and uncle are going to lose the farm, so she asks Ozma if all three can come live in Oz permanently. My review.
I Hope This Doesn’t Find You by Ann Liang (2024). Two extremely ambitious high school seniors have competed against each other for years. Sadie has hidden her frustration with annoying classmates and teachers by writing emails she never sends but when someone releases all her drafts, everyone is furious with her. To her surprise, Julius is one of her few supporters. I love these stories of high school angst and this YA novel was very well done.

The Striped Ships by Eloise McGraw (1991). A young girl has her life torn apart by William the Conqueror’s invasion but is determined to take control of her destiny and uses her embroidery skills to make a place for herself. Improbable but appealing! My review.
Off the Blog: It is supposed to hit 100 degrees this week! Cool down by watching the Puffin Cam, livestream by the Maine Audubon Society which provides an intimate look into a real-life puffin burrow on Seal Island.  I think the Swallows and Amazons would have loved these cameras in the winter but would have scorned being in front of a computer in good weather. 

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Lucy Parker's books are comfort reads for me as well, to the point that I found paper copies of Pretty Face (my favorite) and The Austen Playbook - I should recommend that one to our JASNA chapter. I haven't enjoyed her royals books quite as much.

CLM said...

I also decided I needed to own her books and agree that the Royals books have not been as strong: too frenetic or perhaps the setting just seems forced. She is such a gifted writer - I hope she and her editor can come up with a new concept for the next series.

carol said...

I just started How to Solve Your Own Murder. I guess I should keep my expectations low.

CLM said...

Carol, some people loved it but I just felt the execution was poor and the characters were hard to keep straight. Also, the heroine felt more American than British, for some reason.

TracyK said...

You did very well in your reading in May, hitting most (all?) of your favorite genres. I want to read more by Ann Cleeves and especially more in the Vera series. Also, I haven't read any of the Orphan X series and I want to but haven't done anything about that yet.

We hardly ever have temperatures around 100 but I have lived in areas where that was common.

I am beginning to fear that I won't be able to get a May 2024 reading list up anytime soon. I had cataract surgery Tuesday morning and actually things are going really well but I have had troubles working on the computer (and focusing on writing reviews or anything much). Oh well.

CLM said...

Tracy, why not wait and do a combination May and June post? Glad the surgery went well but you certainly don't want to strain your eyes while you are recovering. My mother is very pleased with hers and for a while did not need to wear her glasses at all.

Orphan X is probably too violent for you but I think the series is extremely well done. I actually like the Vera Stanhope series better than Cleeves' other two: she killed off one of my favorite characters and it made me mad. Did you ever read Elizabeth George? She did that too and I punished her by not reading any more of her books (not that she noticed).

thecuecard said...

You were on a reading roll in May. And that Puffin cam is wonderful. I'm not going to get anything done with that playing. I'm watching the funny bird try to walk across the rocks. Then I had to visit the Bald Eagles at Big Bear live Cam. That's another. I think you're off to a good reading in June as well. Do you often get to read when at the library? late nights maybe

CLM said...

Because I normally work on Saturday or Sunday, I am usually very busy at the library and the head librarians usually leave exciting projects for me like peeling off the stickers that say "Express" or printing new labels when they become illegible. It is often hard to imagine why this job requires a master's degree! But sometimes if it is slow I read a page or two. More often I see a book when shelving and it looks so interesting I check it out (literally) and bring it home.

TracyK said...

It might be a good idea to wait and combine May and June. Sometimes I do feel like I am putting too much strain on my eyes right now.

I will keep in mind that Orphan X might be too violent, but someday I would like to try one. I agree that the Vera series seems to be higher quality than the Shetland series, at least in the ones I have read. I did not mind that Elizabeth George killed off a major character, or at least not enough to stop reading her books, but they got too long and bloated after a while so I gave up on them.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Going Zero was a highlight of my May reading too, thanks to your recommendation. And I firmly believe you can never reread Act Like It (and Pretty Face) too often.