Tuesday, May 31, 2022

My May 2022 Reads

A busy month of reading - I expect June will include more visits to libraries and bookstores and less reading, but those are equally delightful pastimes!

Mystery/Suspense
She Shall Have Murder by Delano Ames (1948) – Everyone tells Jane Hamish she should write a book about the goings-on at her London law firm but when a client is murdered, she finally starts writing and her boyfriend enthusiastically takes on the investigation.  This is the first of a 12-book series; enjoyable but I am not sure I will pursue it because mostly out of print.  My review.

Piece of My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke (2020) (audio) – True Crime television producer Laurie Moran is about to be married when her nephew-to-be is kidnapped from the resort. Has he been mistaken for Laurie’s son or is there another mystery in this family? This was not very deep but perfect for my commute.  One thing you have to say about MHC is that her heroines are very relatable girl-next-door types; you definitely root for a happy ending to their troubles.
Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz (2018) (audio) – In the third Orphan X book, Evan’s mentor asks Evan to protect a 16-year-old girl being pursued by Charles Van Sciver in his mission to kill all the former Orphans. To Evan's surprise, she turns into such a worthy ally that I hate for her to disappear from the series!

Death at the Alma Mater by G.M. Malliet (2010) – The third St. Just mystery is set at the Cambridge University college where Portia De’Ath is an academic fellow. Some of the wealthiest alumni have been invited for a weekend reunion but before the fundraising appeal can take place, one of them is murdered. I have now read all four of this series and felt this did not have enough of Portia.  Also, I dislike all the author's American stereotypes.
The Murder Rule by Dervla McTiernan (2022) – Set in the United States, Irish author McTiernan’s first standalone follows law student Hannah, who has secured a coveted place on the Innocence Project at UVA – however, she doesn’t want to free a wrongfully convicted prison but ensure he will never be released.  The premise of this book was good but the plot was unconvincing. I like McTiernan's mysteries better.  

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (2016) (audio) – Travel writer Laura should be thrilled she is taking a luxury cruise in place of her pregnant boss but she is sure she heard a body being thrown overboard and no one will believe her.   There were a lot of holes in this plot and the heroine was not very bright but it was a clever premise.
She Came Back by Patricia Wentworth (1945) – Philip’s wife died in France during the war and he has fallen in love with someone else, so it is most inconvenient when Anne returns and he is the only person who doesn’t believe it is her.  This was the first Wentworth my sister and I read!  My review.

Fiction

An Act of Love by Nancy Thayer (1997) - Linda and Owen McFarland’s happy marriage and blended family is torn apart when her daughter tries to commit suicide and says his son, her stepbrother, raped her. This book seemed dated in its approach to rape but was hard to put down.  How could a family survive such a situation?  Thanks to Judith for the recommendation.
By Any Other Name by Lauren Kate (2022) – Lanie loves her job as a romance editor and is ready for the next challenge, working with a reclusive author whose string of bestsellers is threatened by writer’s block. However, this author has a secret Lanie finds disturbing and is reluctant to keep. I always enjoy reading books set in publishing and this was pleasant but did not seem very original.  Points for the heroine with glasses, however!
Father by Elizabeth von Arnim (1931) – Jennifer is resigned to her tedious life as unpaid secretary to her author father but when he suddenly marries someone younger than she is, she sees her opportunity to escape! She rents a little cottage in the country, where she has surprising encounters with two ministers – one who despises her for no good reason and one who sees her as his soulmate. This book was so amusing I might recommend it to my book group, and fortunately it is back in print.

Historical Fiction
The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier (1963) – In this historical novel, du Maurier explores the history of her glass-blower ancestors and how they survived the French Revolution. My review.

The Vanished Days by Susanna Kearsley (2021) – Darker than her other books and a little harder to get into (but very satisfying once engrossed), it is loosely connected to The Winter Sea (perhaps my favorite of her books). The twist at the end took me by surprise and I wanted to start rereading right away.
The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles (2021) – When Emmett is released from a juvenile work farm to care for his orphaned brother, they set off on a cross-country trip that has echoes of Huck Finn’s famous journey. This was very different from A Gentleman in Moscow, which I found delightful, but I think it is more accessible and there is more action.  My review.

Nonfiction/History

The Secret Lives of Codebreakers by Sinclair McKay (2010) – This is a must-read for anyone who enjoyed The Rose Code as it provides a behind-the-scenes look at Bletchley Park, including interviews with several who worked there. I am looking forward to visiting Bletchley Park on June 23rd – isn’t that exciting?  Review to come.

Nonfiction/Children’s Books
The Art of Alice and Martin Provensen (2022) – This is a gorgeous monograph of the beloved husband and wife picture book writers/illustrators’ work. My review.

Juvenile Fiction

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis (1955) – A game of attic exploration leads to an encounter with a magician who sends Polly and Digory to another world, where they awaken the evil Queen Jadis and witness the birth of Narnia. My review.
The Twelfth Day of July by Joan Lingard (1970) – Catholic Kevin and Protestant Sadie live blocks apart in Belfast but their worlds don’t collide until they begin to taunt each other in the days leading up to the July 12th celebration.  I am now eager to reread this five-book series.  My review.
Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen (1956) – Marly’s father has not been the same since he returned from WWII. Desperate to restore their family, her mother moves the family to her grandmother’s farm, hoping a busy but more secluded life there will help him. This was a group read with the Betsy-Tacys and we assumed it won the Newbery because treatment of PTSD and mental illness was rarely covered in children’s fiction of that era.  I've always thought it would be interesting to go read all the Newberys I missed . . .

YA

Pirouette by Robyn Bavati (2013) – Reminiscent of The Parent Trap, this story is about twins separated at birth who meet at an intensive summer ballet program. Only one has the desire to become a dancer so they switch places during the camp and when it is time to go home. But how long can they pull off this impersonation?
I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys (2022) – The oppressive Ceausescu regime in Romania is the setting for this historical novel which was the de Grummond Book Club selection for May. For a change, the protagonist is an angry male teen forced to become an informer to protect his family. My review.

What did you read in May?  Have you read any of these?

This would have been my father's 88th birthday!  I miss him every day.

5 comments:

Cath said...

Definitely going to read Father at some stage and I really like the sound of She Came Back too. You had a good, varied reading month.

Gretchen said...

You read a nice variety of books in May! I read The Enchanted April by Von Arnim recently and would love to read Father. I will be reading the Magician's Nephew soon. Hope you have a good June!

Katrina said...

Father is one of the few of hers I haven't read yet. Re missing your father, it's 42 years since mine died and I still miss him every day.

TracyK said...

May was such a long month. You read so many books, and I read only four this month. For most of these, I have already commented on your review posts. I think I need to read on of the books in the Orphan X series, someday.

LyzzyBee said...

A lovely set of reads. I've read Father and The 12th Day of July out of those.