Thursday, February 3, 2022

My January 2022 Reads

I only read fiction last month (not counting books used for graduate school research) and my favorites were Love at First Spite, The Lost Love Song, and The Girls I’ve Been (see below). Hmm, maybe I should have saved some of this love for February 14th!

Fiction
The Lost Love Song by Minnie Darke (2021) – A quirky, appealing story about a song that is passed from musician to musician around the world, building bridges and reuniting lost souls, until it returns to the grieving boyfriend of the woman who wrote it. It sounds odd but I really liked this and Star-Crossed, which I read last month.  Glad this Australian author is being published in the US.

Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult (2021) – Diana is an art expert at Sotheby’s with a fiancĂ© who’s a resident at a New York City hospital when the pandemic begins in 2020, just as they are supposed to vacation in the Galapagos. Both their lives are irrevocably changed by the next few months.

The Musgraves by D.E. Stevenson (1960) – An attractive widow and three daughters in the Cotswolds are reconciled with the stepson/half-brother who disappeared many years ago. My review.
The Garden House by Marcia Willett (2020) – After her father dies, El moves into his cottage in Devon and is disturbed to find there were secrets about his life. Cass and Kate reappear from earlier books by this enjoyable author, whose books resemble those of Rosamunde Pilcher.

Romance

Love at First Spite by Anna E. Collins (2021) – I like a heroine who takes revenge on a cheating fiancĂ© instead of spending chapters in tears. Then she gets distracted by the dark, brooding architect at the firm where she works. This was funny and romantic.
On a Night Like This by Lindsey Kelk (2021) – Fran is temping for a musical diva when she ends up stranded on a remote Italian island for a ball that is the social event of the season. When she crashes the party, she meets the man of her dreams. But it will all end at midnight, right? My review.

The House on Gregor’s Brae by Essie Summers (1971) – Jennifer had met the famous author Gregor MacGregor once as a child and it changed her life. Now, as an adult, she loves him but is afraid he will think it is pity and reject her. This is one of the only Summers books I remember that is not set in New Zealand!
New Zealand Inheritance by Essie Summers (1957) – After her parents die, Roberta returns to her grandfather’s sheep station in New Zealand where she spent a happy month as a teen. But when she falls for Muir Buchanan, she is afraid he wants her for her future inheritance, while he wonders if she is a gold-digger.

Historical Fiction

The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray (2021) – This is based on the real-life story of Belle da Costa Greene, J. P. Morgan's personal librarian, who passed as white and became one of the most powerful women in New York. My review.
Her Secret War by Pam Lecky (2022) – After her home is bombed by the Germans in WWII, Sarah does war work at the Spitfire factory and is offered an opportunity to out a hidden spy. My review.

Mystery/Suspense

The Other Daughter by Lisa Gardner (audio) – This story about a girl adopted by a family after their own child was murdered had a ridiculous number of holes and unconvincing characters. I also have little patience with people annoyed not to be told the details of secret investigations. If you are related to a suspect, that is not a reasonable expectation!
All Her Little Secrets by Wanda M. Morris (2021). Ellie Littlejohn is one of the few black employees at Houghton Transportation but when her married lover is murdered, she has to decide what is most important – her career or finding out what is going on at her company. My review.

The Maid by Nita Prose (2022) – A mystery set in an NYC five-star hotel, from the perspective of the maid who finds the body.  My review.
China Trade by S.J. Rozan (1994) – Set in New York’s Chinatown, this is the first in a highly regarded series about Asian-American private investigator Lydia Chin and her friend and occasional partner, Bill Smith. My review.

Murder in a Nunnery by Eric Shepherd (1940) (reread) – When a murder takes place in the Harrington Convent School, Chief Inspector Pearson of Scotland Yard is called to solve the crime and is unexpectedly charmed by those he meets behind the convent walls.

YA

The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe (2021) – A romantic triangle of Nora, her former boyfriend, and her new girlfriend are held hostage at a bank, and the only way to escape is for Nora to reveal her real identity, which will could be even more dangerous. Soon to be a Netflix film starring an actress I haven’t heard of, Millie Bobbie Brown. Not the greatest name.

Juvenile
The Best House in the School by Dorita Fairlie Bruce (1930) – Peggy, temporary House Captain at the Springdale School, is determined to make her tenure meaningful by motivating the Rowans to win the Banner of Merit. Book 2 in the series.

The Gilded Girl by Alyssa Colman (2021) – Emma Harris is attending Miss Posterity’s Academy for Practical Magic when her father dies and she becomes a destitute orphan in this alternate version of A Little Princes. My review.
Starfish by Lisa Fipps (2011) – Told in verse about Ellie, who is tired of being fat-shamed by her family and classmates and tries to take control, not by dieting, but by learning to cope even when it hurts.  Beautifully written and very moving.

Countdown by Deborah Wiles (2010) – Franny Chapman is coping with a mean best friend, a teacher who won’t call on her in class, and the Cuban Missile Crisis in book 1 of Wiles’ award-winning Sixties trilogy.


Have you read any of these or plan to?

6 comments:

Cath said...

Murder in a Nunnery appeals (I've no idea why) so will go and look at that in a moment.

After watching Miranda Mills' video about boarding school stories I thought I might look at The Chalet School books which for some reason I didn't read as a child. Then I saw the price of the first books! Hmm. Will keep an eye out for them in charity shops.I didn't read boarding school books as a kid, was greatly into adventurous treasure seekers, or Narnia. Can't help but feel I missed out. My eldest daughter was hugely into Mallory Towers and had hundreds of them.

TracyK said...

I am probably going to repeat myself a lot here...

I always am amazed at how many books you read in a month. I only read 6 this month, and I still haven't gotten a summary post together. Working on it now.

I hope to read The Personal Librarian sometime. Everything about it sounds interesting. I look forward to your review of The Maid. And I am so, so glad you read China Trade by S. J. Rozan and wrote such a wonderful review.

I bought Murder in a Nunnery by Eric Shepherd when you mentioned it before on the blog, and I hope to read it this year. Really. I will definitely be reading Countdown by Deborah Wiles this year. Excited about that one.

CLM said...

It is easier to read and avoid cleaning or cooking when you live alone, Tracy!

Cath, I meant to say if you want to start with a good boarding school story I would not try the Chalet School but Autumn Term by Antonia Forest. That is my favorite series.

Cath said...

Well, here's a funny thing. I was in the spare bedroom which we call Ruth's Room (our grand-daughter) looking at the books on her shelves. Those are either ones I collected for her or which came from her home and didn't go back, and there on the shelf were 5 Chalet School books! How I didn't know they were there I'm not sure. Life is a bit odd sometimes. So I'll read those at some stage (the first book is there but the rest are random numbers) but take note of your advice to have a look at Autumn Term by Antonia Forest first.

CLM said...

That's very funny! Is this the granddaughter at uni in Wales? Well, I think the first Chalet book is the best one, with all the set up and not too many students to keep track of, so you should definitely add that to your TBR. When I was in NYC last week, I got together with two friends I met through our interest in school stories and I remember when Samantha got married, we were very impressed - when she went on her honeymoon, they went to Austria where the Chalet School books are set for her and then on to the Tour de France for her husband. Her husband even had made for her a special tee shirt with the cover of the first book silkscreened. True love, I decided!

Cath said...

Yes, that's the grand-daughter in Wales, still there and taking a year off. She's doing a lot of crafting, producing beautiful knitted and crochet items and, I think, wondering if she could make a living at it. None of us can decide whether we should be worried or not. She has a boyfriend living on the south coast in Dorset and we're rather hoping she might make a move to that area as there's a lot more going on in the towns and cities over there, Portsmouth, Southampton, even Bournemouth... in the way of job opportunities.

So, that first Chalet School book I own. It's a paperback from the 1980s so belonged to my daughter. I was watching one of Miranda Mills' vids last night (her new bookshelves one from a year or two back) and she was showing her collection of original Chalet school books and made the comment that later paperbacks are abridged. Which brought me up sharp as nowhere on the paperbacks I have does it say they're abridged. I did think it was odd that her hardbacks are 'huge' and the paperbacks are much slimmer. Any thoughts?

How brilliant to have a husband willing to go to Austria for his honeymoon because you're into the Chalet School books!