Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

Title: Prince Caspian
Author: C.S. Lewis
Illustrator: Pauline Baynes
Publication: Puffin paperback, originally published in 1951
Genre: Juvenile Fantasy/Series
Setting: Narnia
Description: In the second Narnia book, the four Pevensie children are on their way back to boarding school when they are catapulted back to Narnia. Unfortunately, Narnia has changed since they left it as Kings and Queens and they are horrified to realize they are in the ruins of their former palace of Cair Paravel – with nothing to eat but apples. While exploring, they find and don the gifts Aslan gave them long ago (all except Susan’s horn, which is missing), and start to resume their Narnia identities. When they rescue a dwarf from drowning, they gain a useful ally who explains what has happened since they left Narnia (nothing good) and tells them about the titular character, Prince Caspian’s need for their help.

Caspian is the rightful king of Narnia, although descended from the neighboring Telmarines, who have silenced Narnia’s trees and animals. His cruel uncle Miraz usurped the throne but now Caspian seeks to claim it with the help of the creatures that have been underground since his father was killed. His tutor, Dr. Cornelius, a dwarf passing as a man, has given Caspian a relic supposed to be Queen Susan’s magical horn, meant to be used in Narnia’s greatest need. When Caspian sees the force of Miraz’s troops against them, his advisors persuade him to sound it, although most of them do not believe it will bring help. Surprise, the horn summons the Pevensies back to save the day!

My Impression: How could I have missed an event like Narniathon, hosted by Chris at Calmgrove? My mother brought the Narnia box set from England when I was 6, holding it for a future Christmas. Eventually, I started the series with The Magician’s Nephew and reread all seven many times. Prince Caspian includes a lot of dramatic action that teaches a young reader a lot – don’t talk about Aslan and the old legends to unbelievers, recognize your uncle will kill you once he has an heir of his own, and don’t underestimate former kings and queens of Narnia! In the first book, the children grew up as they reigned so they had lots of time to hone their warrior skills. But the Narnia air helps them regain their expertise – Susan’s archery, the boys’ swordsmanship, and Lucy’s healing.

Some of the things I particularly like in this book are how sick the children get of apples, the only food they can find at Cair Paravel; Trumpkin the dwarf, who doesn’t believe in the old legends but, once convinced, is a good strategist and companion (Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed); Lucy waking up the trees; the growing friendship of Caspian and the four Pevensies; and the first glimpse of Aslan:
“Look! Look! Look!” cried Lucy.

“Where? What?” asked everyone.

“The Lion,” said Lucy. “Aslan himself. Didn’t you see?” Her face had changed completely and her eyes shone. “Do you really mean -?” began Peter.

“Where do you think you saw him?” asked Susan.

“Don’t talk like a grown-up,” said Lucy, stamping her foot. “I didn’t think I saw him. I saw him.”
In contrast to Trumpkin, Lucy believes and so she sees Aslan first. Maybe there’s a little foreshadowing here of Susan’s future lapse from grace?
Pauline Baynes’ illustrations and maps are a wonderful part of these books. I like maps in books so long as they are not too complicated to grasp (Arthur Ransome's are good too, as I recall). The map of Narnia in this book is simple and shows the places readers remember from the first book – maybe they need to be reoriented just as the Pevensies do – Cair Paravel, Lantern Waste, and Aslan’s How are there, as well as new locations. There are more talking animals in Prince Caspian than in the other books, and most of them are very sweet, especially the Trufflehunter, the Badger. Narnia fans tend to love or hate Reepicheep, the valiant mouse; except for Mrs. Frisby, I am not really a fan of mice, in fiction or in my basement. I like him better in the next book than this one.

There is more to Prince Caspian than war or good vs. evil. I remember reading once that one of the most important parts of the book is when the children and Trumpkin are on the way to Caspian:
As they all grew more tired, their spirits fell. Up till now the children had only been thinking of how to get to Caspian. Now they wondered what they would do when they found him, and how a handful of Dwarfs and woodland creatures could defeat an army of grown-up Humans.
Lewis shows that it is normal to be discouraged and weary. Of course, they don’t know that Aslan is on his way or there would be more of a spring to their step. I forgot how much I like this book! Unrelated to Prince Caspian, I am one of many who was disappointed by Turkish Delight, which I thought would taste like Turkish Taffy. I understand now that British children who had been without candy during WWII would have been thrilled by anything containing sugar, but there is much better candy out there!

If you are a Narnia fan, which is your favorite?

Source: Box set from childhood. My copy was priced at 3’6 but, sadly, shillings were phased out before I ever got to Britain.

9 comments:

ed.pendragon said...

Oh, how lovely, I'm so glad this reread didn't disappoint! It's interesting how for some this instalment scarcely impacted at all while for others it remains vivid!

And how delightful it must be to have full-colour editions of these books, with illustrations that shine like jewels or images in illuminated manuscripts. Alas, the vintage paperbacks we have, and even the one-volume hardback I own, are devoid of colour apart from the covers...

And now I hope you're ready to bark on the good ship Dawn Treader!
Chris

CLM said...

No, I have the Puffin box set without color, and although we did buy a hardcover set to spare the paperbacks, it was an inexpensive book club edition without illustrations. Only LWW seems to have survived but not much loss.

I will definitely be ready for Dawn Treader later this month! Thanks for improving the winter doldrums.

Lark said...

I really need to reread all of these books!

Cath said...

Oh gosh, I was obsessed with these books as child. The day I discovered them I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I loved them all but my favourite was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I've had a thing about sea voyages in books ever since. LOL! Was it Neil Gaiman who wrote an essay I read called something like, The Problem with Susan?

LyzzyBee said...

I have the Puffin edition, too, the lovely covers and line drawings inside. I've not taken part in this project but seem to follow a few people who are and am enjoying reading the reviews and discussions! Re Ransome, I just bought a copy of Arthur Ransome and Capt Flint's Trunk by Christina Hardyment which goes through his locations and maps and compares them to real life - saw it on a blog, of course!

Deniz Bevan said...

Aww, now I feel like rereading this series yet again! My favourite has always been The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

CLM said...

I didn't realize how much I like this book until I began rereading it over the weekend. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is also one of my favorites. Cath, I don't know that essay but am certainly a Gaiman fan; in fact, my former employer published his first book, Neverwhere, and we had a lovely lunch for him at which the female staff gazed at him with infatuation and the male staff looked perplexed. Someone said afterward that his only flaw was that he did not sound like Masterpiece Theatre.

Liz, I just got the Capt Hook book from the library although have only had a chance to read a page or two. Someone recommended it to me on Girls School Story list. I am hoping to do a paper in June comparing places in books to their inspiration, although I suspect the Lake District is just too vast for this project.

Deniz, join in the read! It is paced over so much time it will not interfere with other plans.

ed.pendragon said...

You're very welcome! I'm gearing myself up now to set off on that voyage to Terebinthia and beyond...

Lory said...

So glad you are joining in Narniathon. I'm enjoying it no end.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but really I loved them all almost equally except for The Horse and His Boy. They were all just different colors of wonderful (or different planets, according to the Planet Narnia theory). I am especially looking forward to this month's read though.