Wednesday, April 27, 2022

WWW Wednesday – April 27, 2022

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Taking on a World of Words.

The Three Ws are:

What are you currently reading?

Tonight I started a book called Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg about four friends who are students (or rivals) at a performing arts high school in New York. It has all the drama of Glee but the characters seem more believable. I enjoyed the author’s Prom & Prejudice several years ago.
I am also reading The Secret Lives of Codebreakers: The Men and Women Who Cracked the Enigma Code at Bletchley Park by Sinclair McKay as I hope to visit Bletchley Park in June.

What did you recently finish reading?
Faithful readers know I have just read a lot of books published in 1954! I have also been reading the St. Just mysteries by G.M. Malliet in reverse order, which is unlike me. Death in Cornwall caught my eye (or rather, my ear, it's an audiobook) before I realized it was book 4, in which DCI Arthur St. Just and his fiancée are vacationing in Cornwall when they turn up for an appointment to find (inevitably) their host has been murdered. It's hard to vacation peacefully if you are a fictional detective! I went back to read Death of a Cozy Writer, book 1, and just finished Death and the Lit Chick, book 2, a more interesting book that involves murder at a Mystery Writers Conference.  St. Just also meets his fiancée in the second book.

What do you think you’ll read next?
I went to a lot of trouble to get a copy of the much-recommended She Shall Have Murder by Delano Ames but am having difficulty getting into it. I have a train ride on Friday so will bring it with me and give it my undivided attention (which has been in short supply). My book group is reading The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles so I just got that from the library. However, the book I am also excited about is I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys, set in 1989 Romania, about a young man being blackmailed by the secret police to become an informer.
I tried to get my library to select her Between Shades of Gray, a WWII historical novel, for a community read about ten years ago but my co-committee members were afraid people would mistake it for the other Shades of Gray book! I thought this was silly but we picked a book about the Gardner Museum heist instead. I bet Ruta Sepetys curses the day she picked a title that seemed innocuous but came out at the same time as the erotic franchise.

3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Tempting books! Thanks for sharing, and here's MY WWW POST

TracyK said...

I am glad you are enjoying the St. Just series of books by Malliet. I haven't read the 3rd and 4th ones and I may get to them someday.

I enjoyed She Shall Have Murder by Delano Ames and the 2nd one in the series. It did take me a while to like Dagobert in the 1st book; it is more like I just got used to him.

I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys sounds very good. Let us know how you like it.

Cath said...

Nice to see Mousehole on the cover of that book! We'll have to take you there in July.