Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Title: The Silver Chair
Author: C.S. Lewis
Illustrator: Pauline Baynes
Publication: Puffin, paperback, originally published in 1953
Genre: Juvenile Fantasy/Series
Setting: Narnia
Description: Eustace Scrubb, cousin of the better-known Pevensie children from the earlier Narnia books, was introduced in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Eustace attends a progressive co-ed boarding school (clearly despised by Lewis, although it is hard to tell which horrifies him more, coeducation or progressive education; maybe it’s a tie) with Jill Pole. They aren’t friends but they escape together from bullies into Narnia. While the children are separated, Aslan the great Lion appears to Jill and gives her very precise instructions for a quest. She and Eustace are to search for a lost prince in a ruined city of ancient giants.

Although Jill is supposed to repeat the instructions carefully to Eustace when she finds him, she forgets, and they miss the first sign – for Eustace to greet an old and dear friend. Too late, Eustace realizes that time has passed and King Caspian is old and near death, and has departed on a voyage without their connecting. The lost prince is Caspian’s son Rilian, who disappeared many years ago. With the help of Puddleglum, a doleful but brave Marsh-wiggle, they travel to the north seeking the prince. Puddleglum is like a more articulate Eeyore and is essential to their ultimately successful venture; at the same time, Eustace and Jill gain in confidence and are able to cope with the travails of the modern world when they return.

My Impression: I seem to recall being very disappointed when I first began this book, lo, these many years ago, because Lucy and Edmund were gone and we got reformed Eustace and a new character instead. Yes, Aslan had warned them they could not return to Narnia but it was still a shock. Fortunately, The Silver Chair is a compelling story and the reader is immediately drawn in. We know when Aslan appears and makes Jill carefully memorize his instructions that it will be disastrous if she and Edmund deviate (somewhat like leaving the path in Mirkwood). As I reread this book, so many aspects of it came back to me but, of course, the most memorable is when Jill realizes the Giants are planning to roast, not host, them for a feast! Rilian’s transformation is reminiscent of Tam Lin, which I was not familiar with when I first read this book. Similarly, while I recognized many of the epic themes of the book as a child, there is a lot of imagery that went over my head at 9. Still, I can tell by the fact that my Puffin paperback is falling apart that my siblings and I reread this book often.
This is my third installment of #Narniathon21, and Chris at Calmgrove has several questions, which I have abbreviated because this post is getting long:

1. Are the four signs Aslan gives to Jill too obscure to be of value?

Perhaps, but (a) faltering on the quest/misunderstanding directions is needed for the plot and (b) even Peter the Apostle forgets his warning and denies Jesus, so Jill and Eustace are in good company when they initially fail.

2. What are your favorite moments in the novel?

As stated above, the moment in the House of Harfang when Jill reads the cookbook is one of my favorites, although terrifying;  I also admire her subsequent playacting. I like Jill’s initial encounter with Aslan because she is so clueless: the reader knows more than she does about Him. Another favorite moment is when Rilian adjures them in the name of Aslan to set him free. And after initially being dubious (he is awfully frog-like), of course, I grew to love Puddle-glum!

3. Is there any Narnian or other creature you would like to travel on the back of — with their permission of course?

I’d like to ride on Aslan’s back but I know he’s not a tame lion! I did play with some lion cubs once but I think that is as close as I will come to riding a lion.
original cover
Favorite Lines:

“I daren’t come and drink,” said Jill.
“Then you will die of thirst,” said the Lion.


“What sort of people live there?” she asked.
“It’s not for me to say they aren’t all right in their own way,” answered Puddleglum. “If you like their way.”


Jill thought that when, in books, people live on what they shoot, it never tells you what a long, smelly, messy job it is plucking and cleaning dead birds, and how cold it makes your fingers. [author's note: I feel as if Arthur Ransome's characters would tell us but I forget whether they actually do.]


“Only tell them,” answered the Lady, “that she of the Green Kirtle salutes them by you, and has sent them two fair Southern children for the Autumn feast.”  [author's note: any Turkish delight while you're at it?]


“Many fall down, and few return to the sunlit lands,” said the voice. [author's note: I have quoted this erroneously a lot as "Many go down . . ."]


“Her will is not to be questioned but obeyed.” [author’s note: I should put this on the door to my office to set the right tone.]


She turned very white; but Jill thought it was the sort of whiteness that comes over some people’s faces not when they are frightened but when they are angry.


“Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones . . . I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.”


And all the creatures laughed aloud and said, “Isn’t that just like a Marsh-wiggle?”

Source: Personal copy

Twilight Zone: I never watched this show but my brother did and I seem to recall being in the room once for an episode like the visit to the Harfang.  I realized what was going to happen because of The Silver Chair.  Any fans?  Am I misremembering?

4 comments:

Lark said...

I never liked Eustace and Jill as much as I did Lucy and Edmund! :)

Lory said...

Nice selection of quotes. There are so many memorable moments from this one. I never watched the Twilight Zone much so I cannot answer that question, but the moment in the Giants' kitchen is definitely TZ material!

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, now this really makes me feel like rereading. I always feel like Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favourite of the series, but I think this one comes quite close.

CLM said...

I had really forgotten how much I like this book! Lory, I agree that there are so many memorable moments. Deniz, I am with you re Dawn Treader, which is also a happier book. This one is darker and perhaps more interesting. Lark, maybe you need a reread too!