Friday, March 25, 2022

Literary Trails, British Writers in Their Landscapes by Christina Hardyment

Title: Literary Trails
Author: Christina Hardyment
Publication: The National Trust/Harry N. Abrams, hardcover, 2000
Genre: Nonfiction
Hardyment is a British writer who more than shares my love of literary pilgrimages. This oversized, illustrated book contains eight chapters of essays, pictures, vignettes about particular authors, timelines, maps, and more. She knows how we booklovers think:
The place in which a famous writer wrote and the tools of his or her craft are potent magic. The studies, libraries or humble workhuts of famous writers are always the places in which visitors linger longest if their house are opened to the public. Most attractive of all is the actual desk or table they used – preferably still displaying aged pens and blotched notebooks, framed photographs and a clutter of loved momentoes. It is as if by visualizing exactly where and how a writer worked, something of the mystery of their genius will be revealed.
The first chapter, Pen and the Place, focuses on authors’ actual desks and writing habits. I already knew that Hardyment was a big fan of Arthur Ransome, author of Swallows and Amazons, because someone had recently recommended another of her books, Arthur Ransome and Captain Flint's Trunk. Most of the items that were on his desk are now in the Abbot Hall Museum of Rural Life in Cumbria. Other authors she mentions include Tennyson, Kipling, Thomas Carlyle, Henry James, and Virginia Woolf. The second chapter, In Search of Lyonesse, focuses on three places associated with King Arthur: Tintagel in Cornwall, and Glastonbury and South Cadbury in Somerset. I haven’t been to any of these places so enjoyed the pictures and maps, and even the tips, such as the warning that Tintagel is not a very attractive place but has two sites worth visiting, the Old Post Office and a 19th-century building that contains impressive stained glass windows. 

In contrast to the romanticism of the King Arthur legend, Hardyment points out not everyone was a fan. One critic was 16th-century Protestant scholar Roger Ascham (I was surprised she did not mention he was Elizabeth I’s tutor, which might of to her readers) who dismissed books about chivalry as frivolous, reminding me of an apartment-mate I had in business school who said I read too many “pleasure books” (some things never change).
Lamb House, Rye
Other chapters focus on Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, and Literature and the Country House (I did not know Disraeli was a novelist as well as prime minister!), which described how Henry James’ home in Rye “became a Mecca for twentieth-century literati” living locally. Having visited Rye and seen Lamb House relatively recently, I enjoyed hearing how James came for a holiday and eventually decided to make his home there. Other chapters cover the English Lake District (Wordsworth, Coleridge, Ransome, Potter), the Bloomsbury set, and a chapter on thrillers that covers Robert Louis Stevenson (cousin of D.E.), Anthony Price, a lesser-known writer of historical mysteries I enjoy, du Maurier, Sayers, and others. Hardyment observes:
“[du Maurier’s] marriage was long and fulfilling, but not quite a fairytale. Browning was a man of the world, with something of a roving eye. Daphne, nine years younger, felt as immature and inadequate as her heroine in Rebecca. Browning had been engaged to a glamorous, self-confident debutante called Jan Ricardo, and Daphne recalls how she once found a bundle of her letters, carefully preserved, in one of her husband’s drawers. ‘The green-eyed monster showed no mercy then, nor would she now.’”
Hardyment must also be a Mary Stewart fan. There’s a brief mention of The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart. Whether she intended it or not, I was also reminded of Madam, Will You Talk, which mentions Gilbert White’s Natural History of Selborne (1789), which Darwin praised as “one of the chief reasons for his interest in zoology.”

Reverend White was a naturalist and a pioneer of birdwatching. Hardyment devotes two pages to White's small town in Hampshire.  It is hard to capture the essence of this charming book which contains so much information.

Literary Trails is one of the recommended books on my British Studies list. It is clearly a labor of love undertaken by Hardyment and must have taken years to research! It is a fun book to open at random and enjoy. Check to see if your library owns it.

Have you made any literary pilgrimages?  My most recent one was to Provence but I have also been to Prince Edward Island, Orchard House, and Deep Valley, Minnesota, to name a few.

Source: Library

9 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

The book sounds lovely to dip into. I shall check the library website.
I've got a copy of her Swallows and Amazons book - I'm a fan too- it's due a re-read.

So many books....so little time....the Readers Lament.

CLM said...

So true, Sue! Also, I thought reading her Ransome book would help me plan a visit to the Lake Country but instead, it made me realize such a trip needs someone braver about renting a car and driving on the left side of the road, as the locations she describes are fairly spread out.

Jeanne said...

I've made a lot of literary pilgrimages, starting with my childhood search for a place that made an "egg cream," which I'd read about the summer I spent on Oahu and had never heard of, growing up in southern Missouri (I finally found one in Newport, RI when I was 22 years old).
I wrote about our Swallows and Amazons tour on the blog. We did rent a car, but it might be possible to get to Coniston Water for the boat tour without driving around the rest of the lake country. https://necromancyneverpays.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/a-literary-tour-of-england/

LyzzyBee said...

This sounds excellent. I bought her Ransome book on the strength of that recommendation we obviously both saw, but can't remember who it was from!

TracyK said...

Literary Trails sounds like a lovely book, very interesting. I was so intrigued that I found a reasonably priced used copy online and ordered it.

Regarding your apartment-mate's comment, I have always read for pleasure, why else would you read? Of course in school or work you may have to read some non-pleasurable reading, but any other time I would hope it would be for pleasure. [OK, I have read two books about racism in the South that were at times very depressing and hard reading for me.]

Cath said...

What it is with sanctimonious idiots who think people need the benefit of their opinions on their reading? Sorry you had to share a flat with someone like that.

This book sounds wonderful. I love 'Footnotes' by Peter Fiennes (related to Ranulph Fiennes, the polar explorer and Ralph Fiennes, the actor) wherein he travels around the UK in the footsteps of various authors. His sense of humour suits me very well. And I keep seeing the book on Miranda Mills' bookshelves too. Wonder if she's read it...

Katrina said...

Thanks, I'll definitely be reading this one. I've been to Lamb House, Brantwood - John Ruskin's house in the Lake District, the Bronte Parsonage, the outside of Hill Top Beatrix Potter's home in the Lake District (it was closed), Dove Cottage (Wordsworth) and Tintagel is definitely worth going to, it's so atmospheric!

JaneGS said...

I really enjoy books like this, both to travel vicariously and as a guidebook when I am planning a trip. I love making literary pilgrimages--most notably, I've been to Haworth and Concord. I do like the groupings that you mention--I like to read with a theme and travel with a theme, so this structure resonates with me.

I would love to visit both Cornwall and the Lake District, mostly because of their literary connections...and the stunning scenery doesn't hurt either!

CLM said...

Yes, I think my next literary pilgrimages may be to Haworth and to Cornwall. I really wanted to visit The Manor Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast in Dethick, which inspired Alison Uttley's A Traveler in Time, and was determined that I would stay there no matter how expensive. Sadly, it is no longer being used as a B&B and is on the market. Even if I won the lottery, that would be a stretch!

I would also like to visit the house that inspired Green Knowe: https://www.greenknowe.co.uk/

This book needs to go back to the library so I will dip into it one more time before I bring it back tomorrow.